• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WHAT DOES YOUR WIFE THINK....

"vic user" wrote:

> woohoo!

> another canuck!

With some mouth.

But generally you can tell who's suited to one another & those that you steer well clear of, unfortunately there's the occasional conflict.

CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
"vic user" wrote:

> woohoo!

> another canuck!

With some mouth.

But generally you can tell who's suited to one another & those that you steer well clear of, unfortunately there's the occasional conflict.

CP/M User.

Hey, I used asterisks'.

My only point being it is a problem with people, not a specific gender.

yep

yep

Oh yeah, almost always when someone says "men this" or "women that" it really just applies to people. sigh.

but anyway, woohoo! Nova Scotia, I used to love hanging out on Cape Breton Island waiting for the ferry to Newfoundland. ;)

-m

Hey, I used asterisks'.

My only point being it is a problem with people, not a specific gender.

"WishboneDawn" wrote:

>>> woohoo!

>>> another canuck!

>> With some mouth.

>> But generally you can tell who's suited to one another & those that you
>> steer well clear of, unfortunately there's the occasional conflict.

> Hey, I used asterisks'.

Yeah, but we still know what you mean't! ;-)

> My only point being it is a problem with people, not a specific gender.

Yes. It's a narrow mindness thing if you please - which can be tied in to almost anything if you like - but like all things there's only so much people can know.
The Environment is a classic example, the more you look the more you find, we know bush helps the planet (but bush also helps our animal friends of all types - by being there), even though to understand a natural process could well be beyond anyone's comperehension - in Computer terms it's like a computer program which maybe one command or variable short of being complete - but to find it maybe rather complicated or tricky to find. It just goes to prove that nobody's perfect!

CP/M User.

My fiance' doesn't mind it, in fact, she helps me locate stuff on occasion. The only part about it she really doesn't like, is the clutter that happens. She actually thinks it's cool to be with a "computer dork"....she never has to worry about costly repairs. :roll:
I asked her about her Ex husband yesterday while I was tearing apart her newest computer....if she would let him do what I was doing(had to pull out the CD-ROM drive and fix it). She told me she'd have shot him if he'd gone near the computer with a screwdriver.
She just looks at me and says "Grab your tools and fix this piece of ****, before I ****ing shoot it!"
:shock:

AFAIK, the only inanimate object I ever actually shot was an old B&W TV set...which only served to frustrate me even more because the bullets just bounced off the screen. (HINT: Never try to penetrate the glass on one of those 1960's TVs with a .22 caliber pistol).

--T

Vintage Computers

Vintage Computers

Hey all, I have a couple old time puters here. I have a Comie Vic 20 and 64, a Apple 1, a Trash 80 as well. I am not a collector, these are just computers I had as a kid. That trash 80 was a expensive little bugger.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> AFAIK, the only inanimate object I ever actually shot was an old B&W
> TV set...which only served to frustrate me even more because the
> bullets just bounced off the screen. (HINT: Never try to penetrate the
> glass on one of those 1960's TVs with a .22 caliber pistol).

This isn't a personal attack against B&W I hope (it should be in rants! ;-) but seriously, I love my B&W movies & 'am slightly curious to see some 2-Tone Technicolour silent films which Cecil B. DeMille did (perhaps the original The Ten Commandments from 1923? - but there's another film from this period he did which looked even more colour convincing!) okay it's not true colour, but used to an interesting effect - guess it was something they did in the filming process or a blend of dying they used on the film.

But they just don't make Telly sets like they used to. Apart from that I love my B&W DVDs it brings out the detail in them, well maybe not the DVD - but as opposed to having it in colour in general - more information happening in colour - perhaps too much! Interesting to see there's this new film done in B&W think it's called Sin City - unfortunately it looks to horrific for my taste - going from the B&W preview. Is B&W making a comback in the States?!? Hope so, it's been a long wait since Schindlers List! ;-)

CP/M User.

It wasn't intended as a protest against B&W, but more like a lashing out at the programming available at the time, and against TV in general. I used to really hate TV, a lot more than I do now. Besides, I wanted to see the light show when it blew up...

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> It wasn't intended as a protest against B&W, but more like a lashing out
> at the programming available at the time, and against TV in general. I
> used to really hate TV, a lot more than I do now. Besides, I wanted to
> see the light show when it blew up...

Fair enough. I never had the change to grow up in the 1960s, but most some of the shows I've seen from that period I quite liked (can't think of one show from the 1960s which I hated unfortunately). Only thing my Dad told me was when Americans got NTSC colour, the programs looked terrible. I sorta disagree with that - however I believe it was the Colour from the TV sets which make the shows look crap. The shows were converted to PAL for Aussie sets, but shows done in the later half of the 1960s seem to look alright - not as advanced as what colour is now, but still effective. But if was colour you hated you would of been shooting at a colour TV - unless it was an ol' B&W which needed to be updated!

For me, it seems that TV is worse now than what I remember it ever been with Reality crap, sure there's still some good shows but it's always out of time with the reality crap. A reality show to me isn't pleasurable - but for me, telivision is mean't to be - people who watch those shows too much tend to brag about it like it's some visural disease that's gone straight into their brain - cause to me people talk more about the characters who they like & who they don't - then you walk away as if you've seen it all yourself - to me it just seems to stick out more with reality shows.

But what do I know? It's just a bunch of observations, me & my friends used to brag about Star Trek & Dr. Who at school - in general we'd just discuss the best parts & what the overall story was like - one time I recall thinking or saying that I was getting sick of those Klingon episodes of Star Trek. It was pretty good when the whole crew were back on track - they tend to drift away & some characters you'd never see in an episode. This got worse with ST - Voyager, yeah so we basically drift off & tend to analyse the episodes more than watching them! Some of them were Very Good though

Maybe if the laws were different here, I'd get some new telly & some .22 caliber! It's a bit of a brain disease - when you think about it, humans have been on this planet for a long time & telivision has only been around since last century. Excessive use maybe bad for people - the lastest gen may have adapted to it's powerful pictures & radiation, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are!

CP/M User.

My current wife (Version 2.0) tolerates my collection pretty well. Version 1.0 gave me all kinds of crap about the few I had then and I'm sure she took great pleasure in selling everything I did not have time to get out of "her" house in the generous 2 hour access period granted by the court. I still miss my DVI for my Model 100.

My wife and I have an agreement: No mainframes or Crays (darn it) and I can pretty well collect what I want. We are in the late planning stages of a new house and she suggested adding an air conditioned third attached garage for storage of my "toys" and extra electrical circuits in the home office so my Octane won't trip the breaker when the laser printer warms up. So I shouldn't have a thing to complain about. She doesn't like clutter so if it's neat, she ignores it all. She is the speed freak of the family and insists on upgrading or replacing her Winblows boxes each year. She actually mentioned checking on pricing for a T1 at the new house last week.

She is not the geek type. She is the toaster type. The computer is an appliance. She doesn't want to know what's in the box, how it works or anything about the hardware. She expects it to work every time and stay out of her way. She is an expert in her field (medical billing systems) and knows more about her vertical market software that I ever wish to know.

cp/m user said:
Fair enough. I never had the change to grow up in the 1960s, but most some of the shows I've seen from that period I quite liked (can't think of one show from the 1960s which I hated unfortunately).

I take it you've never seen The Brady Bunch...

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

>> Fair enough. I never had the change to grow up in the 1960s, but most
>> some of the shows I've seen from that period I quite liked (can't think
>> of one show from the 1960s which I hated unfortunately).

> I take it you've never seen -The Brady Bunch-...

Yeah well the commercials are bad enough & that tune which drove you nuts. I thought that was a 70s show (well late 60s I guess it could have been)?

When I think about it, the 70s had some good musicaol groups, but the whole Disco thing sucks - along with ABBA & if there were shows like The Brady Bunch going with it - yuck! There's another 60s show in the mould of The Monkees - I've seen a couple of shows & it's just not funny, pity they didn't spend some time actually performing & having a musical career - well that Mike Nesmith was pretty good after they broke up, but just did 2 albums! The first one's probably the slightly better of the two though - he redid Listen to the Band which was on the second album not a bad redo - the original is one of my favourites Monkees songs (even though they must of just paid someone off to play it well! ;-)

No usually when I think of the 60s, I think of Comedys like Hogans Heros, Gomer Pyle(? That show with Jim Naybours?), Addams Family, Get Smart, Bewitched & Dream of Jeanie. Course I haven't seen much British Comedy from the 60s - apart from early Dad's Army which has always been good (it got better with Age! ;-)

To me all of that stuff is timeless - it's still funny after 40 years in some cases.

I've only seen a little bit of everything else from the 60s apart from Star Trek - some episodes are great, but some were a bit hit or miss afair, I haven't seen much from the last season they did in the 60s though. But I've seen a little bit of The Saint, Mission Impossible, The Man from Uncle - which looked good from what I've seen. Oh & of course the Thunderbirds was going then too - great stuff.

CP/M User.

My honey's worse then me. I think I'm gonna have to change the ebay password.

Lisa said:
My honey's worse then me. I think I'm gonna have to change the ebay password.

That didn't work for us....we each have our own accounts. She really can't say a word. You know your SO is a serious ebay buyer when a semi pulls up and drops off 12 pallets in your drive way. All stuff she purchased on ebay.

Re: Vintage Computers

Re: Vintage Computers

If it's really an apple1 it's worth about 20k

katey

8legs said:
Hey all, I have a couple old time puters here. I have a Comie Vic 20 and 64, a Apple 1, a Trash 80 as well. I am not a collector, these are just computers I had as a kid. That trash 80 was a expensive little bugger.

Back