• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WHAT DOES YOUR WIFE THINK....

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
ABOUT YOUR CLASSIC COMPUTER COLLECTION?

Mine is pretty cool about it because she knows its a hobby that brings me joy. Shes just starting to get a little upset about all the "junk" Im bringing home. For example ,the other night I picked up a free Tandy 1000 and I dont even have room to hook it up anywhere :D

I don't have a wife sooo.......

My Ex-Girlfriend just wanted to keep the "cute" Compaq CDS 520 around because she could call it the "Giant Laptop" :roll: , she made me get about 30-60% of the computer stuff out of MY room, and she was not even my wife yet.

My whole thought on the situation is it's better to find someone who enjoys or at least can put up with your hobbies, rather than try and put up with a woman who inhibits your desires. I don't know about you, but I usually put the computers first because they've been there for me much more than any sorry girlfriend down here I've had. But then maybe someday a chick could convince me otherwise, but it would take a heaping LOT! Sure they can't breathe, talk, or "sleep with" me, but at least they don't attempt to manipulate or FORCE me to buy them something.

Amazingly my mom is cool with it, that is, until the reality sets in that she has a shed with more computer parts than lawn and garden tools. I've got a bin full of broken stuff to throw away (I'm talking about stuff that is BEYOND repair). Meanwhile, I have about 8-10 monitors of Monochome, VGA, and one EGA, plus a macintosh or a few.

No wife, No Girlfriend, No worries!

I've got a few computers, but I've stopped it somewhat, utilizing what I've got, so the family are happier! :))

Why's your Girlfriend controlling your life? Now I see where the Ex came from! ;-)

If the Rest of the World is just like Australia, in terms of Small Properties at High Prices, then I can understand why Computers are an Issue.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

My wife is actually pretty damn supportive considering. She's a bit upset when I go spend significant money on a machine (like when I bought my Altair's) but generally she's only concerned about the space.

Erik

CP/M User said:
Why's your Girlfriend controlling your life? Now I see where the Ex came from! ;-)quote]

She tried to control me, but failed miserably, she failed to realize I'm not like the usual desparate dolts she usually dates. Hence why she's my ex.

Well, mine likes the HP15C, and what it goes for.
She likes the NeXT cube, with original docs, laser printer( and why did they ever decide to make it 400 DPI, anyway ?), the external CDROM, the internal magneto-optical drive. She mainly likes it because I might actually get something for it if I sold it. Funny, because she's not normally like that.

She's cool enough about it to offer me that when we've moved up to Wisconsin, I can put up a large shed on the property to house my Junk and I.

Of course, secretly, she's impressed by all the Junk I have. 6 years ago, her best friend's answering machine's wallwart fried, and of course I had one.
Then, since I've known her, she's gone through 2 CDROM drives on her Dell Inspiron. But somehow, I always seem to have a spare laying around.
I'm the only one in the family that can get "Dad" (father-in-law) gifts, since I'm the only geek( aside from him, but he doesn't collect)

So, it's with this kind of stuff that I manage to jolly the family along, they figure, as long as I can pull something usefull out of it once in a while, it can be tolerated.

Years ago, I used to repair TV's and stuff out in Monterey, and when I met my wife, at some point I mentioned how once in a while you'd get a VCR or something with a bunch of roaches in it. So, of course that stuck, and nowadays that's really her main concern, that there's a 'secret' roach in a given piece of junk somewhere.

For some reason, she likes to see things coming and (probably prefers) going. I've noticed as long as I pull in some sad PC left behind at the curb or landfill, put Windows on it, and give it away to someone, I've got a lot more slack. Go figure. She's no dummy, either, she's got a Ph.D and does GIS and stuff, just not as, well, whatever I am.

Oh, Mad-Mike, I'll be more than happy to take your "beyond-repair" stuff off your hands, PM me if you want, I can always use it for "See, see what I'm getting rid of ?..."

patscc

My ex-wife never did get used to it, and I'm sure she enjoyed immensly (finally) throwing a lot of my collection into the dumpster. My current g/f is a little more tolerant. She doesn't seem to mind it much, as long as I can manage to keep most of it out of sight. (She just can't understand why anyone would need eight computers within arm's reach at any given moment). Actually, she's the gadget freak of the family. I think she has one of everything Ron Popiel ever invented (except for a Pocket Fisherman, the only useful thing he ever sold).

--T

"Mad-Mike" wrote:

>> Why's your Girlfriend controlling your life? Now I see where the Ex
>> came from! ;-)

> She tried to control me, but failed miserably, she failed to realize I'm
> not like the usual desparate dolts she usually dates. Hence why she's
> my ex.

Sounds like she's some sort of Boss!

Cheers,
CP/M User.

My wife and I have an agreement. I don't "monkey" with her stuff and she don't "monkey" with mine! She only tolerates them but notices extreme anxiety when she criticizes my hobby. Yeah, she has her own computer which gathers dust from disuse. Like most women she only knows enough to push the power button.

RLE

CP/M User said:
"Mad-Mike" wrote:

>> came from! ;-)

> my ex.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

You hit the nail on the head, unfortunatley, that's a big problem with too many women these days.

For the 6 years Holly and I have been together she's generally tolerated my collection. Here in the new house everything with the exception of her machine is confined to one room. The room tends to wierd her friends and family out though- they stick their heads in and see the twinkling of the lights on the switch/router/hub and the hum of the fan's and get a little nervous. I'm currently having to try to convince her grandmother that our child-to-be is in no danger from the "radio-active magnet waves" that she's heard come from computers. Then again, she's trying to get Holly to get rid of my cat because it will steal the baby's breath (yes- this woman actually believes this)
With baby-on-the-way I've agreed to become more selective about my aquisitions and even start to consolidate/liquidate some of the inventory. She has however finally accepted the fact that B.O.B (the Vaxstation) will go when he is pried from my cold dead hands regardless of the fact that when I fire it up- the Sun dims.

-Kahn

Re: WHAT DOES YOUR WIFE THINK....

Computer Collector said:
ABOUT YOUR CLASSIC COMPUTER COLLECTION?

I am da wife! If my other half doesn't like the collection we can compromize,
I'm the one that doesn't leave. ;)

Seriously, It's a hobby. So there are constraints like I don't let it overrun the house. The other rule is "Nothing that makes the lights in the neighborhood dim!". When I can't access it to play with it it's likely burried too deep to be fun. Hence my preference for certain typce and classes of hardware. Since I decided early on that a single room was my electronics lab and office it's also the computer room. I do keep "inactive" storage in the attached garage but it's limited.

On rare occasions I will stage or otherwise use the living room when dealing with large objects prior to moving them else where.

On the other hand If I had an "other" toss my stuff in a dumpster you can bet theirs would be under it as a reminder of things to not ever do. ;)

Allison

Well, technically, when my ex threw out all my stuff, it was no longer my stuff anyways. The divorce decree granted her anything in the house that I'd left behind, so it was hers to dispose of, if she wished. It's really my fault, for leaving it all in "her" basement for over a year (I just had no place else to put it).

--T

What wife ?

Ooooh that wife. I traded her for a Tandy Model 1 with software and 2 drives and a Centronics printer.

She wants to come back, but I've told her: "There's just no room sweety, what with all the computers and everything".

I'm the wife as well.

My husband has given up on any idea of reclaiming the kitchen table for meals and though he shakes his head everytime I bring something home he doesn't mind to much. It's a pretty cheap hobby so far.

As long as we try for compromises (I keep my stuff organized and not let it take over the kitchen too much, don't dump too much money on it) we're good. He does think it a partly practical hobby as I've gained enough computer skills to take over upgrading and fixing the PC. If fact, I know much more than him know but he will not admit that and I won't bring it up. :)

Mad-Mike said:
CP/M User said:
"Mad-Mike" wrote:

>> came from! ;-)

> my ex.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

You hit the nail on the head, unfortunatley, that's a big problem with too many women these days.

And a whole s**tload of men as well. :wink:

Back