• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What filter caps are needed for an IBM 5154?

cwathen

Experienced Member
After...a year I've finally gotten around to dismantling the 5154 to deal with it's failed caps which turned it into an impressive smoke machine last year.

Fortunately it is only the 2 filter caps that have gone, all the rest still look fine.

The originals are WIMA MP3 0.1uf.

I found almost the same caps on ebay...just at 0.15uf which I thought would be close enough, but then realised those are larger 25mm spacing caps and I need 15mm components to go in the 5154.

I've not been able to find exactly the same WIMA caps anywhere on ebay, and am struggling to find anything at around 0.1uf in 15mm from UK stock.

Is the capacitance particularly critical as I've found these on ebay at 0.22uf?

Do they have to be Wima, Just did a quick search on ebah and turned up a few that would be suitable like these or these

Last edited:
Ordered, thanks! Got some 3mm nuts & bolts on order too to close the power supply case back up with, I'm not replacing those damn rivets with more of the same, took me ages to get into it!

Ordered, thanks! Got some 3mm nuts & bolts on order too to close the power supply case back up with, I'm not replacing those damn rivets with more of the same, took me ages to get into it!

How did you get into it? Did you drill the rivets?

How did you get into it? Did you drill the rivets?
My drill is broken atm. I did consider digging the dremel out to cut through them but the material is actually very soft and so in the end I just snipped and snipped at them with a pair of side cutters until I had eroded them enough to pull the casing off. Once in I just pulled what was left of the rivets out from the other side.

TBH I wasn't impressed at all at the build quality and serviceability of the this monitor considering how well built and easily serviceable the computers are. You shouldn't really find that a power supply casing is virtually a structural part of the chassis, nor should you find it riveted shut.

TBH I wasn't impressed at all at the build quality and serviceability of the this monitor considering how well built and easily serviceable the computers are. You shouldn't really find that a power supply casing is virtually a structural part of the chassis, nor should you find it riveted shut.

Weren't those jobbed out by IBM to some Korean outfit?

Back