• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What I did with my holiday weekend

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Well, I took advantage of some time off to completely redo my garage and to move a bunch of my stored machines around so as to make the house look more like a home and less like an electronics surplus shop.

First I put up 5 new storage racks in the garage. This was quite a feat since the garage used to be packed to the gills. Finding space to assemble the first rack was half of the battle. Once that was done I could clear room for each rack by filling the previous one. . .

garage04.jpg

garage05.jpg

garage06.jpg

There's still a bunch of extra "garage" junk in there, but you can now get from door to door without a high-wire.

There's still a few boxes of more temperature sensitive stuff in a spare bedroom, for now.

garage07.jpg

Not to mention the closet full of Altairs, along with a Franklin.

garage08.jpg

garage09.jpg

And the other closet with the various CP/M machines (just by accident, really) including the Zorba, an Osborne and the Altos.

garage10.jpg

There is still LOTS to do, but at least I have a little room to do it in now. . .

One day, when I have the rest of the collection back from storage, I am going to really regret this hobby. . .

Erik

vic user said:
Do you have all that catalogued?

Most of it is listed and a lot is photographed on my main site (www.vintage-computer.com)

The place where I need to really get organized is software and manuals. I've got docs for 50-100 S-100 boards, for instance, that have to be sorted and listed somewhere.

I've also got software for almost all of my machines. That's thousands of disks with little organization except for being boxed by the machine they go with. . . mostly.

Erik

Erik, all I can say is "sweet!". :D

I wish I could move some of my stuff out into the garage. Unfortunately, I live in Florida, and anything placed in a garage (with the exception of cars) starts to mold and mildew almost immediately.

I stuck an old ink jet printer out there, and a week later it was covered with mildew!

That's one reason why my collection isn't growing very fast. On the other hand, it has made me concentrate more on collecting old computer books, of which I have a nice collection started. I just picked-up four more a week or so ago. Two on Pascal programming and two on C. Three of the books are from 1980 - 1981 (the two Pascal books and one C book) and the other C book is from 1988 (C For Yourself - hey, it was part of the set!)

Re: What I did with my holiday weekend

Erik said:
There's still a few boxes of more temperature sensitive stuff in a spare bedroom, for now.
.. he says and illustrates with a Commodore 1530 tape recorder, while the Atari diskdrive will have to suffer in the garage. :)

Re: What I did with my holiday weekend

carlsson said:
.. he says and illustrates with a Commodore 1530 tape recorder, while the Atari diskdrive will have to suffer in the garage. :)

Hehe. The only reason that tape drive is there is because it's on top of a bag-full of tapes for my Commodore Pet (which is, sadly, in the garage now.)

Erik

Back