• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is "The Best Keyboard Ever Made"?

Definitely the IBM Model M is one of my absolute favorite keyboards. I love the elegant design, sturdiness, and precision feel. Typing on it is therapeutic for me! But, it can be deafening.

But, lately I've really taken to my iMac keyboard. I just love the modern design, short key travel, quiet action, and very solid design on account of its metal construction.

I do have to somewhat disagree with you. The only respect that gives the best keyboard to the model M is the layout. True, it does use a membrane to make contact for registering key strokes, but in my opinion, the older model F keyboards layout puts that model in a solid number two position.

I agree the F may be better, but the layout makes it impractical today. I'm typing this on one of the 4 M's I own (IBM '86 & '88, Lex '93 & '94) so I'm obviously a fan.

Northgate offered me a Omnikey for less than half price when I bought my 386 but I stopped using it soon after for the '88 M. That's 22 years of casual computing (home), a dozen plus good cleanings, and still going strong!

I agree the F may be better, but the layout makes it impractical today.

If you don't like the layout of Return and Backspace, it's possible to rearrange them, with parts from a donor Model M keyboard. And if you need more function keys, there's always the 122-key Model F.

I don't get it. I've read many many reviews that say the Apple Extended II is the best keyboard Apple ever made. Whoever wrote those reviews must not have tried the original Apple Extended (M0115) or the ADB Apple Keyboard (M0116).

Where have you seen a review extolling the Extended II? I always knew it was the original Extended that was king.

I also really like the original ADB Apple Keyboard that came with the Apple IIgs (A9M0330). Same good feel as the M0116, but with Control to the left of 'A', where it belongs. (And a smaller 'frame' around the outside. Reminds me a lot of the "Happy hacker" keyboards available now.) I still use it on my B&W Power Macintosh G3, the last desktop Mac to have an ADB port.

here is a site with some good pictures of it.

Where have you seen a review extolling the Extended II?

Lots of sites, but mainly:

Wired Magazine
"The AEK II is still thought by many to be the best keyboard ever made."

Low End Mac
"Many Mac users from way back in the legacy era consider the old ADB Apple Extended Keyboard II to be the best keyboard Apple ever made."

I think the AEK II is crap compared to the original.

I also really like the original ADB Apple Keyboard that came with the Apple IIgs (A9M0330). Same good feel as the M0116, but with Control to the left of 'A', where it belongs. (And a smaller 'frame' around the outside. Reminds me a lot of the "Happy hacker" keyboards available now.) I still use it on my B&W Power Macintosh G3, the last desktop Mac to have an ADB port.

Yes, I heard the original Apple IIgs keyboard was good. I don't like the key shape though. If it feels the same as the M0116, then I'd prefer that. (I really like the M0116)

I just looked at my M0116 and the control is to the left of 'A', so I don't know what you're talking about there. I also think the frame on the M0116 looks better than the IIgs keyboard.

I occasionally connect my M0116 and M0115 to my Amiga 3000 and PC using the Griffin iMate.

Unfortunately, the TI-99/4A has one of the worst layouts of any keyboards I've ever used. I don't think I've seen any other keyboard without a backspace key (delete). To delete, you have to press FCTN + S. Common keys like question mark, apostrophe and quote are also missing and need to be entered using FCTN.

I really like the clickiness of the IBM XT keyboard and it would be a favourite, but that layout is annoying too. 90% of the time, I accidentally press back quote instead of Enter and backslash instead of left Shift. (not to mention the lack of separation of the numeric keypad and unnecessarily shrunken keys)

I just (2 weeks ago) built a like-new Amiga 500 from parts of other Amigas (don't worry – I kept them all, just averaging the best parts into one system)
It took a lot of elbow grease, but I got an early A500 NMB keyswitch keyboard cleaned and restored. It's absolutely awesome! It has a near perfect travel and a satisfying "clack" sound.

I really like the clickiness of the IBM XT keyboard and it would be a favourite, but that layout is annoying too. 90% of the time, I accidentally press back quote instead of Enter and backslash instead of left Shift. (not to mention the lack of separation of the numeric keypad and unnecessarily shrunken keys)

It's funny how a keyboard "click" is perceived.

The operator's console on the CDC 6000-series mainframes had a "clickless" keyboard, but there was a speaker mounted under the keyboard that produced a "clunk" every time a key was pressed (there was even a volume control that could be accessed through a hole in the underside). It felt right, even though the sensation was completely artificial.

Computer_CDC1s.jpg

You guys are out of my league, but I do have a few observations. I started computing on an Apple II and my first computer was a PCs Limited 286 AT clone.

I am a big strong guy with big hands, so I want and need a keyboard that has tall sturdy keys, well separated, with concave tops. I too love the old keyboards like the one that came with my first computer, but I feel compelled to accept the modern "enhanced" style layout just so I can get along in the real world. I would love to switch to Linux (Ubuntu, I am at least halfway there already) so losing the "Windows" key is not a deal-killer, but I am too old to adapt easily to multiple simultaneous keyboards. The laptop is horrid of course, but it can't really be helped, although I do plug in a real keyboard and mouse at every opportunity.

IBM post-M models, such as the KB-8923 that I am typing this on, are reasonable, cheap, available substitutes. They are plenty sturdy if not completely bullet-proof, have good solid feel, if slightly heavier because of the rubber layer, and are much easier on other people's ears. And they are heavy enough to not slide around on the desk, even if they are not weapons-grade. The later, lesser KB-7953 is not too bad, and even its final KB-9910 version is still far better than the crap that you buy now.

Since I am lucky enough to have access to yard sales and thrift stores, none of this stuff costs me very much, and when I find something I like, I stockpile backups.

But now I am going to commit the real blasphemy - and admit that I have an "internet" keyboard that I REALLY like. That's right, it has buttons on the top for odd things like email and music. Here it is: the Compaq SK-2800.

This beige & gray monstrosity came with Presarios circa 2000-03. The primary keyboard has a look and feel much like this IBM 8923, and the buttons across the top are rubbery horizontal ovals. I will admit, I am a sucker for rubber buttons. When I find a calculator with rubber buttons instead of slick hard ones, I am in heaven.

These buttons are ones I actually use: a set of music buttons Play/Pause, skip Forward/Back, volume Up/Down, and, most important, Mute. The 7 "internet" buttons are programmable, with Browser in the center and email at one end. I have the others set for Windows Explorer, Word, Excel, Photoshop, and Wikipedia. After getting used to one quick stab with the finger opening my major applications, it seems dreadfully awkward and slow to have to resort to multiple mouse movements and clicks to accomplish the same thing. Dreadfully slow, and clumsy.

There are a couple of weird buttons that must be something like "sleep" but I have never tried to use them. My computer is on if I am using it, and off if I am not.

This keyboard does require a driver, it takes a small amount of looking online to find it, but no problem in XP. I worry that it will not work in 7. In Linux it is listed as "supported", but I have not yet tried to make it so.

I hate gimmicks, and owned the keyboard for quite a while before programming the buttons, but "internet" and "email" originally worked by default, and they made it soooo fast and easy that I realized that it would be good to have more convenience for opening the programs I use every day.

I am not a gamer, or anything like that, but even you crusty old grizzly bears might find something to really like in the Compaq 2800.

Now that my main computer is a dual G5 Mac (bought to run both OSX and eventually MorphOS), I can't use my awesomely uber-clicky IBM AT Model F. That's going to be left on my BeOS computer, which probably won't get much use anymore. On the Mac, I'm using the Apple Extended Keyboard (M0115C, made in USA), connected with the Griffin iMate.

dualg5.jpg

Technically, I could connect the AT Model F (or Model M), but would be missing the important Apple command keys. The AEK is probably the best possible keyboard I could use.

It's funny how a keyboard "click" is perceived.

The operator's console on the CDC 6000-series mainframes had a "clickless" keyboard, but there was a speaker mounted under the keyboard that produced a "clunk" every time a key was pressed (there was even a volume control that could be accessed through a hole in the underside). It felt right, even though the sensation was completely artificial.

Computer_CDC1s.jpg

That sounds like the "key beep" on my Kaypros and DEC - although, even with the nice little beep noise, I still wouldn't mistake them for "clicky". Some people call any non-rubber-dome keyboard a "clicky" keyboard (as seen in thousands of eBay ads), but I'd only ever consider a keyboard "clicky" if the keyswitch made a snapping click, like the IBM patented buckling spring (or beam spring) switches. I don't consider the sound of "bottoming out" of keys to be the same thing as a "clicky" switch.

I've bought many keyboards because they were supposed to be "clicky". I've read many web pages where they describe the NeXT keyboard as clicky, but they were wrong. They were wrong about the Apple Extended Keyboard (and AEK II), the SGI granite and the Tandy 1000. Most of those keyboards are nice, but certainly not clicky.

Last edited:
But now I am going to commit the real blasphemy - and admit that I have an "internet" keyboard that I REALLY like. That's right, it has buttons on the top for odd things like email and music. Here it is: the Compaq SK-2800.

This beige & gray monstrosity came with Presarios circa 2000-03. The primary keyboard has a look and feel much like this IBM 8923, and the buttons across the top are rubbery horizontal ovals. I will admit, I am a sucker for rubber buttons. When I find a calculator with rubber buttons instead of slick hard ones, I am in heaven.

These buttons are ones I actually use: a set of music buttons Play/Pause, skip Forward/Back, volume Up/Down, and, most important, Mute. The 7 "internet" buttons are programmable, with Browser in the center and email at one end. I have the others set for Windows Explorer, Word, Excel, Photoshop, and Wikipedia. After getting used to one quick stab with the finger opening my major applications, it seems dreadfully awkward and slow to have to resort to multiple mouse movements and clicks to accomplish the same thing. Dreadfully slow, and clumsy.

Hi hcmoss3! Welcome to the forum. :D

You like rubber keys? Yes, that is blasphemy. However, I understand liking one-button application launching. I'm not a fan of "media keys", but on my Amiga I used to set up useful applications on the F keys and Help key. It's annoying that now "modern" operating systems reserve these keys for OS functions, forcing you to use multi-key combinations.

Last edited:
Since I made the original post, I have dusted off the Omnikey 102, a Dell AT101, and I procured a Model M. I have started a new love affair with these clicky keyboards, and the Dell (black Alps sliders) is particularly nice. I alternate between it and the Model M.

However, I do really miss those "internet" keys and especially the ones that control sound (when the phone rings, MUTE used to be a single keystroke away). And, when I was referring to the rubbery keys on the Compaq, I was referring to the rubbery texture of the top of the keys (soft, rounded, but good traction) not rubber domes as an underlying mechanism.

I have also gotten a couple of keyboards at thrift stores with odd sliders that were really terrible, so I understand that all sliders are not created equal. For that matter, I have 2 Dell AT101s (one is an AT101W with Windows keys) and the difference is night and day. I 'm not sure if it is age, wear, or dirt, but one is smooth as silk while the other one is a bit harsh.

longtime IBM KB-8923 user here. Purchased new in 1997 at Computer City (RIP) and still going strong, it was originally sold under the "IBM Basics" brand. Great tactile feedback, but definitely not clicky like a Model M, it does have the Windows keys though. For the Macs I have quite a few Apple Extended Keyboard IIs. They are tanks, and many have been dropped onto the concrete basement floor without ill effects. I might have even killed a few bugs with them too, they make a fairly loud "thunk" when hitting the desk.

longtime IBM KB-8923 user here. Purchased new in 1997 at Computer City (RIP) and still going strong, it was originally sold under the "IBM Basics" brand. Great tactile feedback, but definitely not clicky like a Model M, it does have the Windows keys though.

Those are identical to the infamous beige Dell "QuietKey", which are plentiful in dumpster heaps and thrift store shelves everywhere. I believe Chicony was the OEM. Ironically those are far superior to IBM's own non-clicky version of the Model M2 (the slimline PS/1 keyboard), which feels like a flimsy toy, not much better than an Atari ST keyboard.

Just for the sake, I happen to use a Dell QuietKey right now. However last week I "restored" my old Keytronic AT keyboard, which I'm planning to plug into my KVR through an AT-PS/2 adapter any day now. I must admit though the touch in the restored Keytronic was much more squishy than I remember it, so I might find it is not really superior to the QuietKey after all.

The IBM model M was designed with the buckling spring over a membrane. When the spring buckles, a hammer attached at the bottom of the spring rotates downward forcing the membranes to make contact.

lol wut? Are you sure about that? I could have sworn the Model M was entirely mechanical. Mike! Little help? :p

I think my 5-year quest to find "The Best Keyboard Ever Made" has finally reached the end with this:

beaming.jpg

It's an IBM 3270 terminal keyboard - beam spring with triple-shot keycaps. It feels like a higher quality Model F - very clicky, but more substantial. The keycaps are spherical (white keys are angled by row) with a lightly textured top - and feel as solid as dice.

aplmk.jpg

The case is metal and the keyboard weighs over 10lbs. It's really everything I wanted - old style keycaps, solid quality, great feel, even perfectly useful layout (after modifications). Switches are slightly less springy than the Model F (possibly because this keyboard has had much use) and the key travel is slightly shorter. I haven't yet decided which switch is the "ultimate best" for feel, but including the keycap feel I definitely prefer the 3270 over the Model F. Of course, the major disadvantage is that this keyboard is not yet USB-compatible... but I'll be working on that.

Back