• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is "The Best Keyboard Ever Made"?

So, you use APL?

I'm still looking for a Displaywriter keyboard. I recall those as being very substatial.

Ha! No, I don't use APL - but I'll definitely check out one of the free Mac APL compilers once I get the keyboard connected. (...just so I can use those keys)

The Displaywriter keyboard has the same beam spring switches as the 3270.

I honestly feel like these Beamspring keyboards are quieter than the Model F and Ms, using a Model M myself on my desktop and you can hear my typing through two walls.

If anyone ever manages to get these working I would gladly try and make one work on my desktop. I do believe I seen your image if the APL keyboard on Deskthority, although I'm out of time to check at the moment.

I honestly feel like these Beamspring keyboards are quieter than the Model F and Ms, using a Model M myself on my desktop and you can hear my typing through two walls.

Your beam spring is quieter because you probably haven't removed the protective rubber sheet under the keys. Once you remove that (and you should because it's usually disintegrating and wrecks the feel), it's definitely louder than the Model M.

Wire-wrap wire is traditionally silver-plated and wrapped around gold-plated posts. However, I don't think the telco stuff is gold-plated. The point is to use sufficient tension to get a gas-tight connection with the corners of the posts. With heavier wire like 24 or 22 gauge, you're probably best off using an electric wire-wrap gun.

Here's a shot of the IBM 3270 (3278?) terminal keyboard with paint removed (flip cover not replaced yet):

metal3270.jpg

...I like the "these units have not been tested" on the $140 starting bid one.

(in other words, this could well be a hunk of slag, but it looks pretty)

Just to update this thread, there is now a USB controller available for these IBM beam spring keyboards:

You can read more about it here.

So now, I can finally use "The best keyboard ever made" (TM). :cool:

I know the IBM Modem M is widely considered the best keyboard ever made. I've tried one and it is very nice. I'm wondering if there were other keyboards from that era or earlier that were even better, but nobody talks about them because they were on an obscure computer or terminal that wasn't popular. Hopefully somebody here has experience with the old and unusual computers and terminals of the 1970s and early 1980s. (I know there were lots of old crap keyboards too)

In my (very limited) experience so far, it seems the order goes something like this (ignoring crap keyboards):

buckling spring - IBM Model M (and variations)
Alps switch - SGI (and others)
Cherry switch - Amiga 1000
Mitsumi - Amiga 3000 (used to type this), Atari 1200XL

I'm especially interested in the old keyboards with keys made out of thick shiny plastic (usually black or brown like the Atari 1200XL). Was there an old keyboard with the IBM Model M feel - or better - but with thick high-quality plastic keys? (did any have metal keys??)

I have to agree with your original assessment regarding the IBM Model M. But to take it just one step further, I would surmise that the particular Model M with part number ending in 401 has got to be the best-of-the-best! There is just something about the feel, starting with the weight, of the internal steel plate that ads another layer of stiffness, and rigidity to the overall design. After that, there is one more item to consider. Having a 401 Model M complete with a "bolt modded interior" not only keeps the weight, but the bolt mod adds another layer if stiffness and rigidity not afforded by a non-modifies keyboard.

I love my "bolt-modded model M without exception, and consider it to be the absolutely the best-of-the-best"! I can't see myself using any other keyboard, for any reason.

I have to agree with your original assessment regarding the IBM Model M.

I didn't say the Model M was the best, but that I knew it was considered (by others) to be the best. When I made that original post back in 2008, I hadn't yet tried a Model M. In the 5 1/2 years since that post, I've tried hundreds of keyboards (yes, hundreds - computer museums, antiques, my own growing collection of 50+ keyboards) and learned about all the various switch types. My original "assessment" looks a bit pathetic now.

Anyway, I'd say the Model M is maybe still in the top 10 - after the IBM beam springs, various obscure 70's terminal/teletype keyboards and the Model F.

But to take it just one step further, I would surmise that the particular Model M with part number ending in 401 has got to be the best-of-the-best

You mean the 1391401? ( I'm typing on one now.) Isn't that the most common part number for the Model M?

I can't see myself using any other keyboard, for any reason.

You can't see yourself typing on a IBM beam spring? ;)

Back