• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what is this Amiga 600 going to do for me and my longevity?

Actually, the Amiga's were still around here in the states(via die-hards) until about 2001. It was a niche market, but a viable one none-the-less. I've recently heard of the Amiga-One being produced....though I believe the support for this machine is VERY hard to come by(if it exists at all). Even though Commodore went belly up in 1993/4(can't remember which, at this point), there was still support for it, by 3rd party companies, as well as ESCOM, GMBH(the German company that bought it). Of course, by then, it was too late. Like today, only die-hards are still on board.

I wasn't meaning to be insulting about the "language" question, and I hope you didn't take it that way. I know a bit more about Germany than other European countries, as my fiance' is from Germany...and from her, I know that English is a required language there. I wasn't sure about Sweden, although I suspected as much. I also know that "American" and "English" are similar, but many "slang" terms can be misinterpreted. Should you run across anything you don't understand, please let me know....I'll be more than happy to try and help. "American English" is my first language, and German is my second(though I'm not very fluent with it). I understand more than I can speak it, let's put it that way.
I'll be in Europe this Sept, my fiance' and I are going to Germany, the Chech Republic, and possibly Amsterdam.

As a niche, the Amiga (and the 8-bit Commodore brand) still lives, although with two different owners. I'm not up to date what specs you can get on an Amiga One, but something tells me it can not compete on price or features with a modern PC or Macintosh even (in particular if the Mac is going X86 - not that we know if it will drop the price).

I would say that Swedish people generally speak better English than German people, partly due to that the German population is larger, it still is considered a world language on its own and therefore the need to learn a different language was much less. It is fourteen years ago I had a German incident, so things and school may have changed, but as it appeared in West Germany in the early 1990's, knowledge in English - or at least dare to use it - was a rare thing even among teenagers. In Swedish school, French and German were considered optional 3rd language (Spanish, Russian etc 4th languague), but it may have changed recently so you are required to pick up a 3rd language for a while.

BTW: with English you mean British English? I guess you can get some misunderstandings inbetween too, in particular slang usage unknown on the other side of the big sea. You also have Australian, New Zeeland and many other variations..

Yeah. The base language is the same, although with regional accents and slang, it can get a bit confusing. Hell, here in the USA, there are at least 4 distinct versions of English being used. Generally, we can pretty much understand each other. If you happen to run across something you don't understand, don't hesitate to ask....if I know, I'll tell you.

Kaptain Skitzo said:
Yeah. The base language is the same, although with regional accents and slang, it can get a bit confusing. Hell, here in the USA, there are at least 4 distinct versions of English being used.

Does that includs Ebonics (or U-bonics, to a Southerner)?

--T

carlsson said:
plus up to three years in gymnasium, which is something inbetween high school and college.

Interesting use of the word "gymnasium"... Where I come from it means a place or room that is inside where your do physical education.. It is sometime shortened to just "gym".

Cheers,

Bryan

Uh, right. We have gym too, which would come from gymnastics. I believe gymnasium may have athletic bounds too, from the Latin, where people would take higher education and training to be fit at the same time (well, not literally at the same time). I think the same level of education is called gymnasium or similar in both Holland and Germany.

Regarding people from Canadia (heh), I have the impression I would in general understand their spoken language better than I understand most US people, and even better than I understand some British (even English) people.

Anyway, Amiga is derived from Spanish, I think..

Terry Yager said:
Kaptain Skitzo said:
Yeah. The base language is the same, although with regional accents and slang, it can get a bit confusing. Hell, here in the USA, there are at least 4 distinct versions of English being used.

Does that includs Ebonics (or U-bonics, to a Southerner)?

--T

Yeah....Ebonics, Redneck, Street Slang(Older version of Ebonics), Yuppie, Kidspeak(the white-suburban teenage slang), Yankee....as well as region specific dialects.
For example, people here in Baltimore, use the word "Hon" alot. It's pronounced "Hawn"(an example of the Dundalk accent). Everyone is a "Hon". "Haws ya dooin dere, Hawn?" = "How are you doing, hon?"
Someone actually wrote a lexicon of Baltimore-ese...and how to "communicate with the natives". Pretty amusing, but highly accurate.

Hello all,
A stock Amiga 600 was not terribly useful....but there were some expansion options. My father had an A600 with an '030/50Mhz CPU add-on with 32 MB RAM, DCTV semi-24-bit graphics unit...(load and save 24-bit, but displayed about 5 million color via Composite), Epson Stylus Photo printer...etc. He Loved that machine, and so did I. Sadly, the HD controller and floppy controller died on it almost the same time, a few years back...
I saved the Hard Drive, just in case I can ever find another 600.....

Woo, a video card expansion on a '600. I always thought those things were for owners of 2000/3000/4000. The hard disk should probably work really well in a 1200 too, if you find it and have the space for it.. the numeric keyboard takes some valuable desk space. :wink:

Hello Carlsson,
Technically, the DCTV is not a video card per se, but a device that solved the problem of getting 24-bit graphics ability on virtually any Amiga (except Amiga 1000) It doesn't have true 24-bit output, but has slow-scan digitizing ability. These units were $500.00 US when new.... now with real graphics cards available for the Amiga, they are sold for about $50.00 tops. Nevertheless, they are truly useful gadgets. We (my dad and I) have 4 DCTV units in the house, one for each Amiga! The software for these units was (and still is) very useful.
My dad's current machine is a 1200 HD, and as you said, the extra space for the numeric keyboard made it tough to fit in the space, but it works.

The whole different language thing is quite interesting because in a perfect world we should all be able to understand each other more or less because all western languages save a few are indo-european based ex: brother,bruder. I took some german in high school and I got the hang of it preety quickly because english is closely related to most european languages.
A point a curiosity, i'm not much of a programmer but over here the commands are based on english words or partial words, is it the same there or is BASIC in Germany based on German?

Zmatt said:
is BASIC in Germany based on German?
I can't speak for Germany, but generally all dialects of a programming language use the same vocabulary. Home made extentions and hacks may differ. I have a translated version of C64 Basic, but it doesn't make you happier only because you can use Swedish keywords - rather the opposite as you need to know which keywords it supports and in the case of a listing, translate from "English" to "Swedish". Some computers had Basic with error messages translated, but the keywords unchanged. It would yield funny results in case an error message relates to a keyword, such as NEXT WITHOUT FOR or RETURN WITHOUT GOSUB.

Back