• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is this guy?

ScutBoy

Experienced Member
This machine came into Free Geek Twin Cities this week, and I have taken on trying to figure out what exactly it is.

I figured it was external disks for the rest of a machine that we sadly didn't get, but the "console" and "modem" ports threw me a bit, as well as the connectors for printers, other disks, etc.

It didn't seem to me there would be room for much else besides the drives and PS, and that seems to be the case, though there's a board under the two drives that all the ports plug into.

No markings anywhere easy to see that will help with ID. The Vector Graphic disk sent me on some searches, but I didn't see anything that looked like this was part of a Vector Graphic system, but then again, I most certainly could be wrong :D

Any help on ID would be appreciated. If it's something you think you need, I'm sure some kind of deal could be arranged.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuJY9m3

Never seen one like that before - but (from the photographs) I wouldn't have been surprised to find another board tucked under that drives (as you state there is).

I am thinking some sort of Ferguson Big Board possibly?

Just a thought. It would be worth having a look at the board with the connectors though - as I would like to bet it is some sort of CP/M machine...

Dave

The case styling sure looks like VG, but AFAIK they used Qume 8" drives and those look like Tandon TM-848s; not a common box/system for sure.

Yeah, let's see the board! ;-)

That twin drive plate and drives match a CPT 8xxx word processor so it wouldn't surprise me if that was an external drive unit for one of those.

I think I've got a couple of Davidge floppies in my collection. IIRC, the thing was mostly used in numeric control applications, but I'd have to check my notes from ca. 25 years ago.

Edit: Looks like I have at least 2 samples, since they're mentioned in 22Disk...

Back