• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Oh, c'mon. Posting WikiP photos is just trolling. It's a 1959 Polish AKAT-1 analog computer for solution of differential equations.

Correct!
I forgot that some of you guys are beyond being "experts".
Wasn't trolling either. I did not obtain the pic from the source you mentioned.
Yes it was a "stock" photo. What do I have to do?
Break out my own camera and take a picture of a computer that is beyond "rare"? (that I do not own)

Ok, I posted three more, I am sure that your search prowess will yield exemplary results.

Here is an easy one. My avatar pic, what is it?
Though it is difficult to see the details due to the picture size,
the astute collector of fine old computer iron will know the name of this vintage piece.

Hint: it has a unique "identifier" name.
It also bears the names of three companies that were merging at that time. ~1977

It's one that I am missing and have on my "want" list. The Mits Altair ICOM Attache.

It's one that I am missing and have on my "want" list. The Mits Altair ICOM Attache.

Yes sir!
There is a gutted one (no S-100 plug in boards - just a BP & KB) on ebay right now with a BIN of $960 plus shipping from NY.

Last edited:
image1.jpgimage2.jpgIMG_0960.jpg
What are these?
I found 3 and one is labeled genesis one products corporation.
It is dated 1978

IMG_3118.jpgIMG_3122.jpgIMG_3123.jpg
This is as clear as I can get, sorry.
They have what looks to be 40 pin headers on the edges. Maybe they all slid into
a case.

Oh, I have one:

es65.jpg

Yes, I know it says es65, so no prizes for telling it's an, er, es65.

But nobody seems to know more about the machine than that it comes from Austria, manufacturer Ernst Steiner, and it is supposed to be a multi-user 6502 system. That is literally all I learned over the past 5 years of owning it...

Anybody knows more?

Kind regards, Oscar.

This appears to be some kind of tape drive, that uses micro cassettes and communicates via a serial connection. It seems to have been made in 1984 and the EPROMs are dated Dec 1983.

There are DIP switches for selecting from 150 to 9600 baud. All I could find that looked anything like a company name was BCD on the label and Telex on the PCB. I'm sure that I could think of a couple of more generic terms that would be impossible to google effectively, but it would take effort.

Anybody recognize it?

mcd1.jpg

mcd2.jpg

mcd3.jpg

mcd4.jpg

mcd5.jpg

mcd6.jpg

I realize it isn't likely to be identified by me but could you provide images of the connectors and a look at the open tape drive? Might narrow down what type of system it is intended to connect to. I suspect industrial programming tool but I don't have the knowledge to quickly recognize one.

The connector is visible in the image of the open unit. DB-25F, it appears.

Telex made video terminals-this is what amounts to a paper tape simulator using cassette. They used to not uncommon during the 1970s. Realize that many applications back then assumed that you had an ASR or the like and could use paper tape. Since Telex made glass ttys, this looks exactly proper for that.

Thanks Chuck!

Yes, the connector is a female DB25. I guess the BCD does, in fact, just stand for Binary Coded Decimal? The sticker on the sticker suggests that it was made in January 1984. I don't know if there's much else to be learned from it.

Here's another one. I'm probably an idiot, but I don't recognize this 50 pin connector. What is it?

50pin.jpg

My guess is it's a hot-plug adapter for an IDE drive. Presumably there's a drive enclosure out there somewhere with a row of matching connectors.

Actually I'm not sure if IDE supported hot-plug. It's possible the enclosure this went with was intended to make drive swaps fast and easy, but only with the system powered down.

It is a CDROM ide to standard IDE adapter to use a laptop CDROM drive on a standard IDE port.

Back