• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is this?? ++solved++

woodcock68

1-picture.jpg

I got this from a guy at work, he has no idea what it is, where it came from or how old it might be.

i'm guessing it's some sort of old graphics tablet pen type thing

there are no manufacturers names on it either

the connection at the other end of the cable seems to be the same as that of a network cable.

does anyone have any idea what this 'pen' is, and what it might do?

You could do what I always do when I get a strange piece of hardware: take it apart and look at any numbers or names from the inside. I would think cause of the jack on the end of it it's highly proprietary. Neat find, hope you can find info on it.

Nathan

i tried to take it apart...

i can unscrew the very end and remove the 'nib' part, which is just a long piece of plastic. i also tried to pull apart the casing itself, but wasn't able to, without breaking it. i have asked on other forums about this item and it has been suggested that

a) it is some kind of barcode reader (don't think this is correct)

b) a light pen - moved across the monitor screen - to draw lines or select etc.

A light pen would seem to make more sense as i got it from an architects office - not likely to use a bar code scanner!

Re What is this?

Re What is this?

A couple of sugestions. How long is the cable? If it is relativlely short, it would suggest an application which requires only a short cable as in a "pen" for a graphics tablet, which would be at home in an architect's office. You describe the "nib" as a long piece of plastic, which would seem to eliminate the light pen idea. Does the tip move when touched to a flat surface, which some pgraphic tablet pens do. This device has what looks like a switch of some sort at just about the point where one's fingers might grip it. Is it a push-button switch or a slide switch or is it something else? I lean towards some sort of pen associated with either a graphics tablet or some other use is ina CAD system. Oh yes, one more question: Is the "nib" conductive" Measure it's resistance. If it doesn't appear to be conductiv

e then the idea of it being puched down on the surface to which it is eing applied which would (perhaps) cause it to depress a push button wwitcfh in the barrell of the device seem likely. I think that is all I can come up with. Try asking "autoCa by emailing them your picture.
Ray

the cable is about 1m long
yes the tip does move
the blue bit is a push button
i don't have anything to test it's resistance but i suspect that it isn't
by pushing in the 'nib' it feels like it does depress a button within the casing
it has been suggested that it might have come from a Calcomp Digitising Tablet, i haven't checked this out yet so don't know if this is right.

I think i have found what this 'pen' comes from

the pen looks identical to the one pictured here:-

PHss3transducers500.jpg

the 'pen' appears to be from a Calcomp Digitising Tablet

i doubt it is from this particular model as i know it is reasonably old.
i now know that i won't be able to get this 'pen' to work as i don't have the tablet to go with it.

but at least i know what it is!!

woodcock68 said:

i won't be able to get this 'pen' to work as i don't have the tablet to go with it. but at least i know what it is!!

So now you file it away?
(You never know, you might find the rest of it)

the pen looks identical to the one pictured here:-

PHss3transducers500.jpg

i doubt it is from this particular model as i know it is reasonably old.
i now know that i won't be able to get this 'pen' to work as i don't have the tablet to go with it.

but at least i know what it is!!
Are you looking for a tablet by any chance?

I have several of them I will be selling eventually- but I don't know if they are compatible with your pen.

I'll dig one out and confirm model numbers, etc. I assume you would want one of the funky cross-haired mice that seem to belong with them?

And I have a tektronix digitizer tablet that is about 5 feet x 5 feet, weighs about 60#s. Have you ever seen one?

Nothing I sell gets bench tested or anything, but I know I have some tablets that look like are new in the bag.

Email me at work (swylie@uvic.ca) and I'll send you some pics.

Back