• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What kind of flat-screen monitor works for PS/2 Model 50?

Marquis

My 8513 Monitor went out, for my IBM PS/2 Model 50. What kind of flat-screen monitor can I replace it with? Do I need any type of adapter? What kind of cable do I need?

Thanks.

-Clueless

Last edited:
It seems to be a non-standard cable attachment. An ordinary VGA cable won't fit the back of the computer.

To be clear, the 8513 monitor has its own cable, which is permanently hardwired to the inside of the casing of the monitor. That is, it's not a detachable cable. So I can't just take that cable and use it.

The back of the computer looks like it would fit a modern VGA cable, but not quite. There are more pins on newer VGA cables, than on the old cable, so maybe that's why it doesn't fit?

Again, this is a PS/2 Model 8550 (aka Model 50).

Last edited:
It seems to be a non-standard cable attachment. An ordinary VGA cable won't fit the back of the computer.
Your VGA cable has one extra pin, doesn't it?
Pin 9 isn't used in the normal VGA spec (unless it's a really niche product) but some vendors leave the pin disconnected while others plug the hole/remove the pin. If you can't plug a cable in because of pin 9 it is okay to break off pin 9.

Your VGA cable has one extra pin, doesn't it?
Pin 9 isn't used in the normal VGA spec (unless it's a really niche product) but some vendors leave the pin disconnected while others plug the hole/remove the pin. If you can't plug a cable in because of pin 9 it is okay to break off pin 9.

The old cable only has 10 pins:

cable.jpg

Here's the back of the computer:

computer.jpg

Or get a very tiny drill and drill a hole in the female connector so the pin doesn't stop it from plugging in.

Back