• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What kits are currently available?

arrow_runner

Veteran Member
I just received my XT-IDE board from lynchaj. I also have the XT-FDC board from him and then remembered that mmruzek is selling 5150 clone motherboard kits at http://www.mtmscientific.com/pc-retro.html.

Is there anything in the works for video, sound, serial/parallel or even LAN cards? Power supplies too. I'm just curious if it's currently possible to build a whole system, aside from the drives, from a kit. Computer kits were long gone by the time I came of age so I never had the chance to build one.

Last edited:
I could use a circuit diagram for a common PC power supply - with all the usual protections - to suit an older AT style machine.

I have a few machines with proprietary power supplies that have died. Would be nice to be able to route a new board on the computer, get the PCB made up, pop on some brand new quality components, and replace it. For some I can retrofit an ATX supply but others (like my Model 30) it's not square enough.

Is there anything in the works for video, sound, serial/parallel or even LAN cards?

I designed and have PCBs for:
- ISA OPL2 (an Adlib-like sound card)
- ISA Floppy and Serial controller card. Similar to XT-FDC, but simpler more straight-forward approach. As the name states, it also has a serial port (UART).
- Xi 8088. This is an advanced XT processor board. Still based on 8088 (or V20) CPU. But compared to a PC/XT it has PS/2 keyboard/mouse controller, RTC/CMOS, second PIC...

I am also working on the following:
- ISA Super VGA card. I actually assembled a prototype yesterday, and so far it works perfectly. I think Michael Mruzek wanted to make kits based on this design.
- My version of XT-CF-Lite. This is pretty much complete, and I need to order a production batch of PCBs.

I also used to offer an ISA Backplane, but currently I am out of PCBs.

Note that I am offering just PCBs for most of the designs above. Builders have to get their own parts. Except of ISA Floppy and Serial controller, for which I also offer PC8477BV-1 FDC ICs.

I'm just curious if it's currently possible to build a whole system, aside from the drives, from a kit. Computer kits were long gone by the time I came of age so I never had the chance to build one.

I built my own system from PCBs that I have designed and electronic components, excluding the case, disk drives, power supply, and peripherals (display, keyboard, mouse)...

If you want just to build a computer (not a PC-compatible one), it might be simpler to start with Z80-based designs, such as N8VEM or my Zeta SBC.

You guys are amazing

tumblr_lsu713Q7dK1r2gtxeo1_500.gif

Better to ask what aren't there kits for. We've got the mainboard, video, audio, and storage accounted for. What else is left? Is there an ISA NIC kit available?

A NIC is not available as far as I know... It shouldn't be too difficult to build a NIC using components like Realtek RTL8019AS or Nat Semi DP8390 (for these who don't like SMT components). But it is not something I am planing to do, at least not in the near future.

Other than that, the inventory and pricing of my and other N8VEM boards are available on this N8VEM Wiki page.

Back