• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Operating System do you use?

What Operating System do you use?

• Total voters

tgunner

Experienced Member
Simple poll. What Operating System do you use most often, and what do you you like about it? If your's isn't listed, what is it?

This just seems like another religious argument in the making. I'd suggest making the poll more specific, otherwise we're going to have a barage of 'I like this' comments.

How about something like, What is your favorite Vintage OS? That might even be on topic!

As things are now, this thread isn't even in the right area of the forum. I'm moving it to general.

I'm pretty much split like, four ways (or five, even though CP/M isn't among the choices). I use, fairly equally, Win2K, Win98, Win95 & DOS on a daily basis. (Show me a vintage computer user who doesn't use at least two of the above daily).

--T

Last edited:
I use Windows XP for everyday things on my everyday computer.

Vintage OS? Hmm... the first REAL OS I used seriously must have been on my Amiga 500. There wasn't actually anything when you turned on the computer (aside an image of a disk prompting you to insert one into the drive). You had to boot the Workbench utlilty (or other chosen software) from floppy. I made one boot floppy that booted really fast into a Workbench environment with lots of useful utilities in RAM :)

Using the Amiga recently, it really makes you appreciate the multi-tasking abilities of Windows today! To view DeluxePaint files, then BASIC files, then WordWise files, you have to reboot with the relavent disk each and every time.

Sorry about the location. This was originally going to be "What is your favorite *nix distro", but I decided to add the others. Just keep to the point, no flame wars, and remember, you can choose multiple OS'es. :)

tgunner said:
Sorry about the location. This was originally going to be "What is your favorite *nix distro", but I decided to add the others. Just keep to the point, no flame wars, and remember, you can choose multiple OS'es. :)

Perhaps it still should be 'Favorite *nix', since over half of the poll is same...(and, of course, DOS does not even deserve 'honorable mention' although many of us use it on a regular basis).

--T

I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition on my laptop right now. I really don't see much difference from Home/Pro, except the look & the Media Center app (which I'm still confused as to WHY someone would use it on a laptop. (It's HEAVILY made for Media Center PC's, as in for a PC hooked up to an entertainment system)

atari2600a said:
I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition on my laptop right now. I really don't see much difference from Home/Pro, except the look & the Media Center app (which I'm still confused as to WHY someone would use it on a laptop. (It's HEAVILY made for Media Center PC's, as in for a PC hooked up to an entertainment system)

New laptop for you?

I'm not very polarized, except that I can't stand Microsoft's Pricing and Rules against making backups..........

What I Use
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-RedHat Fedora Core 5 - GEM PIII
-Windows 2000 Professional - GEM PIII
-MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1/Windows 3.0/Windows For Workgroups 3.11 486 & 286
-Caldera DR-DOS 7.01 - XT

What I Have Used
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
MS-DOS 5.00, 3.01, 4.0, 6.0, 6.21, 7.1
PC-DOS 3.31
MS-DOS 3.31 For The Tandy 1000 SX
OS/2 2.1 w/ Multimedia Enhancements
Slackware 96' Linux
RedHat 6.1 "Cartman"
RedHat Fedora Core 2
Windows 98 SE
Windows 95 OSR2
Windows NT 4.0
Windows ME
Windows XP Home
Tiny Linux (Special Slackware on Diskettes)
OpenBSD 3.4
(edit) .....shapz....I Forgot Mac OS 8.0, Can't forget that I also have a Power Mac

My Favorites
---------------------------------------------------------------
Windows For Workgroups 3.11
RedHat Fedora Core 5

Last edited:
tgunner wrote:

> Sorry about the location. This was originally going
> to be "What is your favorite *nix distro", but I
> decided to add the others. Just keep to the point, no
> flame wars, and remember, you can choose multiple
> OS'es. :)

I insist on using CP/M or DOS (DR-DOS in particular)!

CP/M User.

I use 2k, Slackware 10.2, 98SE, MacOS 7, kubuntu. Until I looked at my choices I didn't realise how many os's I actually use. Used more in the past, but wow, I kind of suprised myself.

kubuntu and ubuntu both rock.

Nathan

alexkerhead said:
:bigups: .........

What I meant about the buntu's is that not even win2k, the newest os I have, takes advantage of all the hardware I can throw at it. Even the pcmcia card reader is supported, tho 2k refuses it. And every bit of ram both on the graphics card and the boards I added are used. Win2k likes to divvy it up and it slows down the machine. As a live cd, win is only slightly faster than the buntus (win has the advantage, since it's on the hdd). Once I get a decent cd-rom for the server, it's getting kubuntu!

dongfeng said:
Using the Amiga recently, it really makes you appreciate the multi-tasking abilities of Windows today! To view DeluxePaint files, then BASIC files, then WordWise files, you have to reboot with the relavent disk each and every time.

eh? I had a hard drive for my Amiga 500 and the only time I had to reboot was to play a disk based game.. Other then that the Amiga multitasked very nicely. (and a lot better then Windows, up to around Win98 )

Cheers,

80sFreak

Back