• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What protocol is the UUCP in Tandy Xenix?

kb2syd

Veteran Member
I recall having a ton of trouble getting it to talk to newer versions (protocol G?) of uucp packages.

Was micnet every ported to any other platform? Anyone interested in helping reverse engineering it?

Just got a Tandy bug and there's no vaccine.

Kelly

Seems that "protocol g" was the one from the beginning.

There's this snippet from the v7 Unix source code (which, according to Wikipedia) is the first arrival of UUCP, so if the Xenix folks got it from anywhere, it's here.

Code:
struct Proto Ptbl[]={
        'g', gturnon, grdmsg, gwrmsg, grddata, gwrdata, gturnoff,
        '\0'
};

That's the protocol table, clearly designed for "more than one", but they only had one, and that was the 'g' protocol.

And modern Taylor UUCP clearly supports the g protocol.

On uucico, if you add a -x flag, with an argument of 4, it should print out a bunch of debug information to STDERR, which should be able to help.

Seems that "protocol g" was the one from the beginning.

There's this snippet from the v7 Unix source code (which, according to Wikipedia) is the first arrival of UUCP, so if the Xenix folks got it from anywhere, it's here.

Code:
struct Proto Ptbl[]={
        'g', gturnon, grdmsg, gwrmsg, grddata, gwrdata, gturnoff,
        '\0'
};

That's the protocol table, clearly designed for "more than one", but they only had one, and that was the 'g' protocol.

And modern Taylor UUCP clearly supports the g protocol.

On uucico, if you add a -x flag, with an argument of 4, it should print out a bunch of debug information to STDERR, which should be able to help.

I recall it always hung at -Shere

I'll have to look at the code

Back