• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What rare, unusual or non-US computers did Tandy sell?

KG7PFS

Experienced Member
In an older post I can't find, someone mentioned the Tandy 10, and even more obscure mini, and a video game console sold by Radio Shack. I can't remember what it was called, but if I remember right, the brand name on it was Radio Shack, not Tandy or TRS-80. It looked like an Intelivision with the computer expantion, and was only comparable to an MC-10, but it was a computer, sold by Radio Shack, not a part of the well known Series 1, Series 2, CoCo, 100, 1000, or Pocket Computers, and the brand was not Tandy, TRS-80, of TDP.

Were there any other computers sold by Radio Shack under a Radio Shack brand other than Tandy or TRS-80, such as Radio Shack, Realistic, Archer, etc?

Were there any other computers sold by Radio Shack that were not a part of the Series 1, Series 2, CoCo, 100, 1000, or Pocket Computer lines?

Were there any computers sold by Tandy or Radio Shack outside the United States that were very different from their US versions, or that were not sold in the US at all?

Were any others than the TDP-100 sold under the TDP brand?

I find it surprising almost to the point of weird that no MSX was ever sold with a Radio Shack brand on it...was there?

I can't remember what it was called, but if I remember right, the brand name on it was Radio Shack, not Tandy or TRS-80. It looked like an Intelivision with the computer expantion, and was only comparable to an MC-10, but it was a computer....

I think you might be confusing several different products here, because I don't think Radio Shack ever sold anything quite like this description. The sold rebranded Intellivisions under the "TandyVision" brand (both the original and the Intellivision II), and before that (and overlapping) they sold a number of different dedicated "Pong Consoles" under the "TV Games" moniker. I suppose it's possible they briefly sold one of those that had something like a keyboard, but it would have been a simple rebrand.

Much later in the early 1990's they tried to come up with their own competition to the early CD-based "infotainment" systems like Phillips CD-i called the VIS, which if I recall correctly was basically a 286 computer in a VCR-looking box that ran a weird embedded version of Windows 3.x. It flopped tremendously.

Intellivision offered the ECS add on computer. I had one which was white to match the later Intellivision II...I don't believe the brown version was released in the US.
It was next to useless and only produced to avoid false advertising claims against Mattel. Of course it could plug right into the Tandyvision; however, I don't believe Radio Shack ever sold a version under their name.

There was a nice setup with the brown ECS at Tandy Assembly.

OK, I can't find the old post about the Tandyvision. I was sure it said "Radio Shack" on the keyboard, but I can't prove it, so forget it. So, were there any other computers sold by Radio Shack with one of their brand names other than Tandy or TRS-80? Any major foreign variations? Any models not sold in the U.S.?

The Tandy 10, 150 and SWS "Software Special" are probably the 3 rarest Tandy computers sold. These were all sold by the original Tandy Computers division from the Ft. Worth store prior to the release of the Model I. Joe Sigler talks about them in detail in Episode 27 of TRS-80 Trash Talk. The Tandy 10 sold a few dozen or so, the Tandy 150 just a handful and the SWS sold less than 100.

https://www.trs80trashtalk.com/2018/12/episode-27.html

Tandy 10
102713070.03.01.lg.jpg

Tandy 150
46077474_1365447850252644_1146823823572598784_n.jpg

"Software Special" SWS
SWS System Picture.jpg

Back