• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What should I set aside when scrapping computers at work?

aaron7

Experienced Member
We own a PC shop here in town (8 years! :)) and offer free electronic recycling to do our part to help.

Everything we take in gets stripped in house and then recycled properly.

Sometimes something will look interesting and I'll post it here or on ebay but I'm sure I'm trashing things people could use.

What should I save? 40mb IDE hard drives? 486 processors? ISA stuff? Or is all this still as common as I remember it was 10 years ago and just scrap?

I don't mean what's worth the most for scrap value. I have that knowledge already :p... just rather keep old parts alive if someone needs it!

Reason for this thread was this morning's drop off... a local kindergarden that had 20+/- systems to dispose of!

2011-07-13110057.jpg

2011-07-13110051.jpg

2011-07-13110045.jpg

Save anything 486 or older. If the system is working, remove the battery so it doesn't leak all over the place and moth ball it for 5 to 10 years when it will be worth hundreds of dollars, possibly over a grand if you have the space to save them. I'm not sure the monitor is worth the space it will take to save though, but have a few on hand for testing. Otherwise, save the mother boards and cards with ram and also the hard drive. If the system works, you can list it or individual parts on ebay as tested and working, they fetch more $$$ that way. Sometimes the parts are worth more individually then as a complete system. Hard drives under a gig are going for good money if tested. I've seen some of the old full height hard drives fetch hundreds of dollars, sometimes over a grand each depending upon rarity.

I save mother boards, most all the cards, ram and hard drives and sometimes a few hard to find monitors. Early Pentium processors with a lot of gold, group them in lots and they sell big under scrap gold cpu's on ebay. Ram as a lot sale sells well too. Some people cut the gold fins off and sell them for scrap. It takes time but might be worth it when times are hard.

I have sold monitors, motherboards, CPU's, hard drives, ram and most cards on ebay with success. Also wire wrap gold pins which have a lot of gold content. Rare cards I sell individually, but some I sell in lots just to get rid of them.

Most stuff you have to look as how much time you want to spend. I usually want twenty bucks or more for a listing, otherwise it's a waste of time. Get your items ready for the day. Take pictures one after the other. Some items need 4 sides, top, bottom and name plate or damage, otherwise one per item might do. Upload to photobucket and list one after the other like an assembly line. I do a bunch of motherboards at a time so it goes faster.

Empty cases don't sell unless very rare as well as power supplies and misc stuff. Also, sell with buy it now and include make offer. List for 30 days with auto renew. Start high, after doing your research by looking at past sales. Month after month, reduce your non selling items a little at a time and they will eventually sell. if you just need cash, sell auction style but never at .99 cents unless you want to make .99 cents an hour.

Include a little extra for insurance, delivery confirmation and packing materials and some for gas to the post office or ups store.

Vintage sells big. Not so much now with the economy the way it is, but it is still well worth the time.

Amiga, Atari, Apple, Commodore, TI-99 4/a and old IBM Dos items are selling well.

I had a data General 486 system for sale last year for $60.00. The guy I sold it to said I'll give you $100.00 if you can have it in the mail by the end of the day. I got my ass in gear and got it out the door. Also had a real old hard drive listed and within a few hours had someone in France who needed it yesterday. I ended the auction after researching what they were going for retail and made $130.00 that hour.

Wonder how long it will be before VGA CRT monitors are desirable collectibles? Don't laugh--consider finding an EGA monitor now--they used to be quite common.

Second picture bottom right of the stack, PC with an old caddy drive CDROM with eject button you have to push in to pop out the caddy is something I would want (have 1 currently). Any combo 5.25"/3.5" floppy drives should sell for $20. The old Macs to look out for ar the 9500 and 9600 PPC machines with 6 PCI slots, and the Plus, SE/30, IIfx, Q950, Q800/840av machines. For common compact macs look for any CPU upgrades and ethernet cards. Working auto inject mac floppies (not the later manual inject drives with the black dust cover) are needed by collectors.

I think VGA monitors are collectable even now, people like matching monitors for their systems (same brand and model the machine shipped with).

Everybody collects different stuff so each persons list of stuff to save is different.

Agreed, anything 486 or older, and anything that's Atari, Commodore, Amiga, Tandy, Texas Instruments, but there are more but I doubt you'd find many of the European machines. Oh, and teletypes. Tandy word processors. Magnavox computers. Clamshells. And doublecheck anything that has a 5.25" drive, it might be a gem.

Wonder how long it will be before VGA CRT monitors are desirable collectibles? Don't laugh--consider finding an EGA monitor now--they used to be quite common.

You have to look at the statistics: when EGA and CGA CRTs were produced the # of computers being sold annually was only a fraction of the # sold 10 years later. So the # of VGA and SVGA CRTs is exponentially higher. I doubt VGA and SVGA CRTs will become rare anytime soon. Some are harder to find than others though: Eizo and other high quality CAD monitors especially. :cool: I remember LCD / TFT only really took off around 2003 / 2004 in Europe so millions of CRTs were produced.

totalshare1.gif

totalshare2.gif

totalshare3.gif

totalshare4.gif

totalshare5.gif

http://jeremyreimer.com/postman/node/329

Screen_shot_2011-06-06_at_17.16.39.png

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/jun/06/idc-pc-sales-growth-warns

Last edited:
Sometimes something will look interesting and I'll post it here or on ebay but I'm sure I'm trashing things people could use.
It all depends on your warehouse capacity and whether or not you have the time to test each item, manage pictures and maintain a database. High value items that take little space are probably the way to go: HDDs, 5.25" FDDs, 3.5" 720KB FDDs, RAM, CPUs, main boards, sound cards with value (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?23432-Sound-Cards-For-Sale-Tracker), IO controller cards, ISA/VLB video cards and larger items that will sell (see systems mentioned above). Items that typically have no or very little value:
- Newer VGA & SVGA CRTs (IBM 12" monitors for instance usually sell although packaging and shipping is a disaster).
- Printers (especially older inkjet and laser)
- Clone cases
- Pentium II, III and even early IV at this point (and related AMD models)
- Keyboards
- Mice
- Scanners
Notebooks usually sell better.

Possibly those things sell well in your area but around here no PII/PIII/P4 are worth keeping.

I've got a basement full of XT motherboards, full height MFM drives, etc... but I'm not storing it forever.

Think I'll do one last fire sale before the big trip the the scrap yard!

Some of those monitors have a cool early-mid 90s vibe, but they're not worth shipping, honestly. Working 17-inch beige CRT monitors are given away for free regularly on Craigslist. I just dumped one on the side of the road yesterday. Serial mice and AT keyboards might be worth saving.

I don't bother with any monitors unless they're not 15pin. Only keyboards I save are the old IBM clicky ones!

I think because of the fees associated with disposing of CRTs properly there are a lot out there for little to no cost just to avoid the EPA fee to throw it away. Given just like everything it's a popularity contest. The more that sold, the more that are out there, the longer they'll be out there and the less demand for the supply until supply is low then demand raises.

Only a few branded items may be worth saving for collectors who may want an IBM, AT&T, Tandy branded monitor, etc (I suppose maybe someone out there later on may look for other 486 era monitors to match their case like Packard Bell, etc) but yeah shipping would be worth more than the monitor plus it'd probably break during shipping anyway.

Your right that obsolete computers aren't worth much and would be a bear to hold onto hoping the value will go up unless you have a nice storage place/warehouse (then you'll also end up finding how many of them don't work anymore after being powered off and in storage for xx years).

Simple small things that don't cost much to ship may end up being worth while. Boxes of RAM, CPUs (Pentium Pro and earlier probably), some drives just for future use (SCSI is worth more and harder to find). Possibly daughterboards or proprietary parts. I think with servers there's probably a demand for mounting brackets for some systems (where the government policy is to remove the drive for separate destruction). Like a mounting bracket for one of the 5 UltraOnes or twos I have that are all missing them. Not functionally a problem but annoying.

Anything non-x86 will probably have enthusiasts bid on them so those are pretty easy to determine. Dot matrix printers sometimes have value because they can do carbon paper (stores often use this for receipts). Small b&w vga monitors are neat for a lot of people. High res, low amount of desk space and good for registers/point of sale systems.

One store that went out of business quite a few years back which I used to love would take older systems and install linux on them and offer them as routers, firewalls, or just learn X operating system. They even started doing lessons on them for a local linux group (well for the beginners who came to the group and lots of the experienced folks would help them either learn or fix their linux setup they brought in).

It also could potentially offload some back to schools for learning programs like any CompTIA A+ like class where they need a few systems to tear apart, install a bad SIMM/DIMM or bad video card and get the kids something to diagnose.

It's great btw that you do that also, it's a great cause to help redistribute equipment instead of landfill it.

I don't bother with any monitors unless they're not 15pin.
You could check the model number against a list of known multisync monitors, those who supposedly sync to lower frequencies than 31.5 kHz. I collected a such list a while ago but can't vouch for how reliable it is. Those who would have use of such monitors include Amiga, Atari ST owners and more. Then again frequency converters are getting better and cheaper for every day so the desire for those NEC Multisyncs and others might drop all the time.

We own a PC shop here in town (8 years! :)) and offer free electronic recycling to do our part to help.

What should I save?

SCSI drives, 1/4" QIC tape drives (SCSI or QIC-36)

I sent a private message about a couple of the SCSI drives you were getting rid of.

We should all have Wants Lists. People who come saying "what shoudl I salvage" are doomed to get swamped with forum posts. I used to do that with my shop, people would come in and I would have them put their wanted items on an index card, when that thing (most of the time a video game cart) would come in, I'd give them a call and hold onto it for a short time. Sounds like a similar idea can be done here, at the forums.

I was actually thinking about something like that. If something comes in that I know someone wants I'll remember that, but posting everything up that might just be junk is too much work!

Back