• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What should I sightsee in Chicago before/after VCFMW?

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
Trixter said to absolutely not miss the Galloping Ghost Arcade. From how he described it, it sounds like if Computer Reset had been a video game arcade, it would be the Galloping Ghost Arcade.

My list so far:
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade
  • Enchanted Castle Family Entertainment Center
  • Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art
  • Medieval Times
  • Mystic Waters Family Aquatic Center, or Rainbow Falls Waterpark
  • Shedd Aquarium
  • Field Museum
  • Adler Planetarium
  • Willis Tower (Sears Tower)

I’ve only been to Chicago once, other than just the airport, but I liked the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry (especially the U boat), the Art Institute (so you can pretend to be Ferris Bueller), the Sears tower (the little clear boxes where you can look straight down), and I took a river tour where they tell you about the architecture.

I’d say the good food is high on the list too. An Italian beef and a cake shake at portillo’s. Deep dish pizza at some place famous. German food at the berghoff.

Go in a group. Don't be out after dark.

Went in '03 to take in the city experience. Had a great time. Went to the car show in '09. What a change for the worse. Will never go back.

You for sure need to locate a Garrett's Popcorn shop and get a couple bags of their Carmel Corn.
You won't be sorry, and it will quickly disappear.

Larry

I grew up in Chicago, and still live in the burbs. Just stay out of the South Side and Humboldt park area (where I grew up) and you will be fine. Don't let people scare you. Midevil times is fun but its gonna be a drive from the city, its pretty close to where I am at now. If you are going to come out towards there, then there is also Volo Auto Museum which is a blast. And Six Flags close as well. China town is pretty fun for newcomers as well. If you head over to Lincoln Park there is an indoor skydiving place that is amazingly fun and under $100 for 2 goes at it. Without knowing rest of your hobbies hard to say what to do while here. :)

#1 place I wouldnt miss would be Microcenter though. Just have to go. Grab the coupons for from their website and signup, usually a free thumbstick or ssd just for visiting.

Last edited:
My revised list. All geeky!
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade
  • Medieval Times
  • Shedd Aquarium
  • Field Museum of Natural History
  • Museum of Science and Industry
  • Adler Planetarium
a_vintage computer verify.gif

All good choices.

Just a quick note, Galloping Ghost is $20 to enter, but it's good for all day (you can come and go as long as you keep your receipt) and every game and pinball inside is set to Free Play (or, you press a button next to the coin slot to "insert" a credit).

If you get bored in Chicago, which you will, just jump on train and head to Dearborn, Michigan and take in Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum. Then after some peanuts and hotdogs, jump on the bus and head for downtown Detroit and the North American Auto Show at Huntington Place (formerly Cobo Hall).

I grew up in the 'burbs and a trip to Science and Industry was really special. This was a very long time ago--back in the day when Hammond Organ had a big display and GE had a great big incandescent lamp as part of their Electric Avenue show. That must have been, what 60+ years ago? They also used to put on a great exhibition of Christmas trees and decoration in December--a sort of "Christmas around the world".
At any rate the building that houses the museum is a leftover from the 1893 Columbian Exposition (as is the Chicago El). For a good book that uses the construction of the 1893 event as a backdrop, with plenty of detail, check out Erik Larson's "The Devil in the White City". It's a tough read, but worth it.

Back