• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What sort of board is this?

JNZ

Experienced Member
A while ago I bought a grab bag of computer components because I saw, in the corner of one of the photos, an S-100 connector. Well the box contained a bunch of these cards:

Anyone know what they are? The sticker on the bottom one says LUBBOCK TV 3-14-00 (only 17 years old!)

Are these boards to stick a PROM into a certain address? Are they EPROM programmers?

Looks like the simplest version of a ROM board I have ever seen. Just enough logic to support one chip.
Judging from the "PROGRAM BOARD" silkscreen on it lived in some industrial application and served as the home for whatever program the device needed.

I can't quite make it out in the picture, but there appears to be a copyright on the left side of the board. Looks like (C) 1990, but I can't make out the company. That might shed some light.

Like NeXT said, super simple ROM board. I'd agree that it's probably from some embedded or control application. From the pin count on the ROM, it looks like it probably occupies most of memory space.

Very interesting. The top left says (C) 1990 American Information Systems, Inc. Assy: ROM512 Rev.D Mod 0.

The chips in order from right to left are:

SN74LS245N (octal bus transceiver)
SN74LS245N
SN74LS245N
TIBPAL16LB-15CN (programmable array logic, in a DIP socket)
74LS74AN (dual D-type positive-edge flip-flops)
DM7406N (hex inverting buffer)

The +5VDC VREG is an LM309K

The PROM label on this one appears to say Lubbock CO, TX 5/15/04. The PROM itself is an M27C512 EPROM, 64kx8. I'm assuming it can't be erased, as it has no UV window and doesn't say EEPROM.

Interestingly there's a jumper for 8 and 16, and SCAN and ACU. I'm assuming the former is for 16-bit compatibility.

The box that it came in also had a bunch of EUROBUS cards that seemed to have come from an ATM. However, after examining the PROM...This is from a municipal election machine! It appears to have been programmed for a general election on May 15th, 2004. It comes from an AIS 115/315 ballot scanner. Something like this:

Model-650-Banner.jpg

Hah, wow! Who knew ballots were being counted by S-100 boxes?! That's pretty cool.

Any Russian text in the eprom :)

I know better than to help Americans see the source code of their voting software. I don't want to end up dead! In fact, I wonder if I'm legally obligated to destroy these EPROMs.

Note to the FEC: I have destroyed the EPROMs.

Back