• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What to-do with MINT IBM PC/AT?

robert213

Guys help me out!

How would I find any computer museums or collectors that would be interested in a MINT IBM PC/AT? -- perferably within 300 miles of Indianapolis, IN, USA.

IBM Model No: 5170

Condition:
MINT
Original Factory Components
Used Exclusively at Home (Word Processing, DOS games, etc)

Upgrades:
Intel Above Board/AT
Plus Development Corp. Hardcard 20MB
Kingston Tech SX/Now! (CPU upgrade) -- never installed
Toshiba 5.25 360KB drive

Documentation:
IBM Guide to Operations: Personal Computer AT
Intel, Installing the ABOVE BOARD/AT
Plus, Hardcard 20, Installation and Reference Manual
Kingston Tech SX/Now! Microprocessor Installation Guide

Thanks for your time...

no problem, ship it right to me ;)

http://www.jdthiele.com/x86/
You are only interested in my computer for its 2x86 CPU. I want my computer to be unconditionally loved for its whole being, including its flaws and imperfections. :just joking around:

If I ever come across any cracked motherboards, I'll ship them your way.

I thought that I had a possible museum...
http://www.thepcmuseum.net/

Until I found this...
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/clt/372910285.html
Don't throw away your old computer. Call The PC Museum at 714-558-8822 for pick up. Old Video Game systems, software, PC's etc. Osborne, Radioshack, Tandy, Processor Technology, Atari, Commodore, Apple, IBM, Epson, Texas Instruments and more. Either donation or we will make you an offer.
David Freeman
714-558-8822
dfreeman@acpsuperstore.com

http://www.acpsurplus.com/servlet/Page?template=about
About ACP Surplus

Thanks for your continued interest in Advanced Computer Products, Inc and our new division ACP Surplus. ACP is in its 30th year of business and our mission remains to provide the best selection of electronic components to the hobbyist, technical educators, electronic designers and collector community of users. We will be adding extra features over the next few months, so come back regularly.

You can contact us at: 1317 E. Edinger Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Phone: (714) 558-8822

If you have the manual for the Intel Above Board/AT, I would really appreciate a copy of the switch settings.

I have this board in my AT, but sadly without documentation so I have no idea how to set it up properly...

If you have the manual for the Intel Above Board/AT, I would really appreciate a copy of the switch settings.

I have this board in my AT, but sadly without documentation so I have no idea how to set it up properly...

From "Shortcuts to Installing the ABOVE_BOARD/AT (for DOS experts)" supplement manual...

Adding RAM Chips

The Above Board/AT uses 64K chips, 256K chips, or a mix of the two. You can mix the two kinds of chips only if you're using the Above Board to add conventional memory.

Buy chips that operate at 150ns or faster. (You can mix chips of different speeds.)

Start filling the column nearest the metal board retainer. Once it's full, move the the next column and fill it. You MUST fill columns in pairs. Never leave a partially filled column or an odd number of filled columns.

Setting switches in Left Switch Block...

Left Switch Block
1=up-position=on
Switches 1-4: Ending Address for This Board's Extended Memory
Switches 5-8: Starting Address for This Board's Extended Memory

Note: These settings must match location of the chips mounted in columns on memory board. My settings after I added memory chips:
0111-1101 [Total 4MB, starting at 1.0MB memory bank]

0000-0000 [No Extended Memory - all expanded](most common setting)
1100-1101 [Ending 1.5MB-Starting 1.0MB]
1011-1100 [Ending 2.0MB-Starting 1.5MB]
1010-1011 [Ending 2.5MB-Starting 2.0MB]
1001-1010 [Ending 3.0MB-Starting 2.5MB]
1000-1001 [Ending 3.5MB-Starting 2.0MB]
0111-1000 [Ending 4.0MB-Starting 3.5MB]
0110-0111 [Ending 4.5MB-Starting 4.0MB]
0101-0110 [Ending 5.0MB-Starting 4.5MB]
0100-0101 [Ending 5.5MB-Starting 5.0MB]
0011-0100 [Ending 6.0MB-Starting 5.5MB]
0010-0011 [Ending 6.5MB-Starting 6.0MB]
0001-0010 [Ending 7.0MB-Starting 6.5MB]
0000-0001 [Ending 7.5MB-Starting 7.0MB]

Note: Examine Jumper Switch settings between Starting and Ending addresses for the same x.xMB (look at previous row). The Jumper Switch setting are the same.

Setting switches in Right Switch Block...

Right Switch Block
1=up-position=on
My settings:
1011-1010

Switch 1-1: Memory Chips
0 [64KB]
1 [256KB]
1 [both 64KB and 256KB]

Switch 2-2:
Not Used

Switches 3-4: Conventional Memory
00 [None]
11 [512KB-640KB](most common setting]

Switches 5-8: Expanded Memory I/O Address For This Board
1010 [258-259h](most common setting)
1001 [268-269h]
1111 [208-209h]
1110 [218-219h]
0101 [2A8-2A9h]
0100 [2B8-2B9h]
0001 [2E8-2E9h]
These optional settings to be used when receiving Message 403 after installing additional Above Board(s).

Running computer's setup program...
Note: Typically the setup program is found on Diagnostics diskette.

I changed my base memory to 640KB
I changed my expansion memory (really extended memory) to 3072KB

Installing the Above Board software...
Since I only wanted extended memory for my database software (Paradox 3.5), I added...
device=c:\dos\himem.sys

If I wished to use expanded memory (or RAM Disk in expanded memory), then...
device=c:\intel\emm.sys M5 I5

The Mx parameter set the address of the 64KB segment to which expanded memory is mapped. Most common setting is address at the bottom of list.
1 [C0000]
2 [C4000]
3 [C8000]
4 [CC000]
5 [D0000]

The Ix parameter determines which I/O addresses Above Board use to access expanded memory. Be sure that this paramenter matches the I/O addresses on Jumper Switches on the Right Switch Block. Use multiple Ix parameters when using multiple additional Above Boards.
0 [208-20F]
1 [218-21F]
5 [258-25F]
6 [268-26F]
A [2A8-2AF]
B [2B8-2BF]
E [2E8-2EF]

If I wished to create a RAM drive (additional D:, E:, F:, etc.) using 360KB of conventional memory... (seldom used)
device=c:\intel\quikmem1.sys 360

Parameter must be greater or equal 4
Parameter must be less or equal 360 (1.0MB less 640MB in conventional reserved for DOS)

If I wished to create a RAM drive (additional D:, E:, F:, etc.) using 512KB of expanded memory... (most common setting)
device=c:\intel\quikmem2.sys 512

Parameter must be a multiple of 16.

You are Welcome!!!

http://www.jdthiele.com/x86/
You are only interested in my computer for its 2x86 CPU. I want my computer to be unconditionally loved for its whole being, including its flaws and imperfections. :just joking around:

Thats not true.. I have been collecting complete systems! I have recently restored an IBM 5150 & a 5160 to their former glory (and then some).

Yes I collect CPUs, but the entire system is far more interesting to play with =) I just played a game of Oregon Trail on the 5150 hehehe go go gadget PC Speaker. I had aquired a 5170, however it has some issue which I may not be able to resolve.

Wow, that is brilliant! Thank you so much, I am pretty sure that is exactly what I need to get the above board working!!!

I'll have a play with it this weekend and report back.

Thanks again :D :D :D

Wow, that is brilliant! Thank you so much, I am pretty sure that is exactly what I need to get the above board working!!!

I'll have a play with it this weekend and report back.

Thanks again :D :D :D

The question to ask yourself...

Which software programs do you plan to run on your 286 machine?

Examine the recommended specs in their documentation.

Borland's Quattro 3.0 (spreadsheet) and Paradox 3.5 (personal database) recommend the use of extended memory.

Lotus' 1-2-3 (spreadsheet) recommend the use of expanded memory.

Most of the other users of the Above Board/AT simply...
a. setup the Above Board as a RAM drive
b. create and run *.bat files which
-- copy the contents of a program's directory from HD drive to RAM drive
-- run program from RAM drive
-- delete contents of RAM drive

As a coincidence, my co-worker (or manager in theory) today admitted he has an IBM AT in supposedly very good condition. Not mint though, and he said the floppy drive sometimes malfunctions, so maybe it would need to be fixed or replaced. He used to power it up twice a year and marvel at all the noise it produces...

The sad part is that up until a few years ago, he had a pile of 6-7 Model M keyboards, all in good working order. Then he found a modern Keytronic keyboard that he liked and decided to throw all M:s away, something he regrets now. It also means he may not have an AT compatible keyboard, but that can be fixed.

Now he considered to throw the IBM AT away as well. I told him it could be worth a little bit of money, so it would be stupid to dump it after holding onto it for so many years. He probably is too nostalgic about it to dump it though. Although I'm not much into IBM PCs and compatibles, if he decides to let it go I will see if I can pick it up instead of going to the dump.

Back