• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What to do with my Kenbak-1

TomInCA

We are moving shortly, and while cleaning out our garage I came across my Kenbak-1.

I understand this computer won The Computer Museum’s “Earliest PC Contest” back in 1986.

I figured it is rather rare, since only some 60 or so were ever built, but doing a quick search on the web I discovered there may only be ten others still in existence.

It appears to power up okay. Here's a photo I just took:

kenbak-1.jpg

Some of the front panel switches are loose, apparently there were glued onto the back of the panel but that is easily fixed. But they all work -- the lights change when I push the buttons. Unfortunately I no longer have the manual for it (at least it hasn't shown up yet.)

Earlier this year, I donated my other vintage computer (a Sphere 6800) to a museum in California. It wasn't running however. I don't think I want to just give my Kenbak away, given its scarcity and since it seems to run.

Is it possible to donate a computer like this but retain title to it (e.g. loan it to a museum?)

What would you do with it? I can't take it with me to our new house so I have to decide something soon.

Thanks for any input.
Tom

The Computer History Museum has some items on "permanent loan" from other museums. I don't know if they do that from private parties or not. I also don't know for sure if they have one of these, but I think they do.

You should contact them for the right answers. . . :)

Erik

Re: What to do with my Kenbak-1

"TomInCA" wrote:

> What would you do with it? I can't take it
> with me to our new house so I have to
> decide something soon.

But why can't you take it with you (if I'm
not being too personal)?

Give it to a relative or friend who has the
space to keep it.

Or pay to keep it in storage (if you think it's
worth it).

But don't throw it away, because whoever
finds it might sell it for a cool $1,000 if they
find out what it is.

I still can't understand why you can't take it
with you though, unless you're moving into
a matchbox house, though they are too small
for anything! :)

Cheers.

Erik said:
The Computer History Museum has some items on "permanent loan" from other museums. I don't know if they do that from private parties or not. I also don't know for sure if they have one of these, but I think they do.

You should contact them for the right answers. . . :)

Erik

Yes, The Computer History Museum has about 9 of the ten or so that are known to exist, but they prolly cn find room fr one more.
Most museums will take things like that off your hands on a "loan" basis. Check around, you might find it a new semi-permanent home.

--T

Post subject: What to do with my Kenbak-1

Post subject: What to do with my Kenbak-1

Hi,

I just stumbled on your posting about Kenbak-1. I was wondering what happen to this computer.

Thanks

Boris

Re: Post subject: What to do with my Kenbak-1

Re: Post subject: What to do with my Kenbak-1

Terry Yager said:
Nice score! Congratulations, Erik.

Thank you!

That's a lot of money to spend that quickly (It was under 10 minutes from first seeing the auction to convincing my wife that I had to have that machine. She's a doll!) but I'm pretty excited now.

It's still in transit so I have to try and keep from stressing out until it gets here, hopefully by this weekend.

I may bring it to the VCF in November as an aside to my planned display.

Erik

What size and weight does this darling have? From Tom's first message about there was no room in his new house, I got the impression it was a rather large beast, but the picture contradicts this theory. About 20-25 cm wide, 15 cm deep and 7 cm high? Of course, he might have other reasons than just storage room not to transfer all the collection.

carlsson said:
What size and weight does this darling have? From Tom's first message about there was no room in his new house, I got the impression it was a rather large beast, but the picture contradicts this theory. About 20-25 cm wide, 15 cm deep and 7 cm high? Of course, he might have other reasons than just storage room not to transfer all the collection.

From the one I've seen at the CHM, that's about right. I haven't touched the museums, but I can't imagine it's more than 10-12 Kilos even with a really beefy PS.

I'll know more tomorrow when mine arrives! :)

Erik

Back