• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what utility does everyone use to test older DOS video cards (FPS, ECT...)

oblivion

Veteran Member
Just wondering what utility anyone uses to test video card performance? I found a old DOS (win 95/98) program called monitor I think and its nice, it displays your card and the video ran, avaliable resolutions the card can do, VESA ver. as well as having a bunch of video/color test but nothing in it I cans ee that tells FPS performace or things like that. its also a little to old as it doesnt even get my ARK logic 2000MT card right and tells me its a trident chip.

Most of the regular diagnostics like Amidiag, Checkit, and Diag, give you benchmarks if that's what you're after. I don't find much need to check out the video for DOS stuff. Video performance isn't usually an issue in that era. I've tried to speed things up a bit by using a modern video card, but it seems that text can only be written so fast and there's nothing that I can do to change that.

As for your card there, I don't know it, but it sounds borderline vintage anyway. PCI, no? I have an old program which may be the same as yours. It may be the same one, but check it out.

For the older DOS cards I used to use 3DBench, Vogons has a copy at the bottom of the 1st post in this thread

Last edited:
Back