• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What would you pay for an EGA 5154?

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
(I thought I had posted this earlier but I either the post didn't commit or it was administratively deleted.)

Alot of us have been looking for an IBM 5154. It isn't the only EGA monitor in town, but to preserve some of the originality of things, it is the Holy Grail of the PC/XT/AT series of IBM Personal Computers. What I believe we are finding, is that these displays are so rare or so expensive we just don't have one.

I recently have had quoted from several electronics recyclers who claim (up & down, left & right) that they do have the real-deal 5154. The lowest priced quote I've recieved was $395, and that was only if I sent in a defective 5154. I didn't dare ask him what the price was if I didn't have a defective one to begin with. I supposed if I came into a large windfall of cash and had nothing else to spend it on, I might pay that kind of money for a mint condition 5154.

I'm curious to what your limits would be in purchasing one of these things, and do you think they will ever come down in price or be more available?

Thanks,
Dan

Last one saw on fleabay went for $125.00 I've seen several this last year in that price range. They were shown working and in nice shape.

framer

I've seen the occasional non-IBM EGA monitor on eBay for ~$100, though most are more along the lines of your quotes. I'd say $100 is reasonable, but I'm damn well not going to pay anywhere near half a grand for one :mad:

I would pay $50 if it was local. I don't have an IBM badged PC/XT/AT just clones so having the real deal IBM EGA monitor is not that important (I do have a NEC Multisync that will do EGA). Unless I am mistaken IBM sold everything seperate back in those days so people using an IBM PC might have had a different brand monitor anyway, so the question is how much would you pay to have everything match even if historically they didn't quite often?

Its nice to have something with a sharp EGA (XT clone for example) since I don't like using VGA on something that vintage.

I'd pay 50 euros readily, maybe for a pristine one up to 100 euros

That is - if I didn't have one. (or two, actually- brag, brag :) ).

(I thought I had posted this earlier but I either the post didn't commit or it was administratively deleted.)

Alot of us have been looking for an IBM 5154. It isn't the only EGA monitor in town, but to preserve some of the originality of things, it is the Holy Grail of the PC/XT/AT series of IBM Personal Computers.

For me, the holy grail is an IBM PGA, 5175 display, modified so it works with a VGA card. Now that's rare! Of course, the thing that I haven't seen is the IBM EGA card with 256K of RAM, so you can display high-res graphics on the monitor. It's hard to find the aftermarket cards with memory and drivers, too.

I'm curious to what your limits would be in purchasing one of these things, and do you think they will ever come down in price or be more available?

Thanks,
Dan

I paid $125 twice for an Enhanced Graphics Display (I think that's what they say on front). The first time it came with an XT and a 101 keyboard, which made me think erroniously that I was getting an XT-286.

I think market conditions are good for people looking for the last rare bits for their collection. With unemployment running out the good stuff is being listed on ebay now, and the prices don't go as high as before (estimated).

Sean

I have one IBM 5154 (with my AT) and two "clones". They seem to be a bit more fragile than the 5153's, and there have been a lot of threads on here regarding repairing them, which is usually successful. I had to replace two caps in the PSU of my 5154, and Jorg had to replace something in his.

I have the IBM EGA card memory expansion, sadly I don't have a working IBM EGA card to use it on! :(

I have the IBM EGA card memory expansion, sadly I don't have a working IBM EGA card to use it on! :(

You do? Funny, since I have the IBM EGA video card, but I've been looking for the memory expansion for a while now.
I wonder if you'd consider selling it to me.

Not a problem, of course I had to ask.
I just wish I knew of a source where I could get the memory expansion for a reasonable price.

I just recently got into vintage computers and have just recently obtained a very nicely kept Apple lle and an IBM AT with the original model F keyboard. The Apple is absolutely complete and working. It was purchased through a Utah school district auction site for $5.00. It has the dual floppy deck that site between the main CPU case and the monitor. All of the parts are original. The IBM is being delivered next week. It came without a display, but a friend at work got me one of the 5154 models from his garrage. He let me see it yesterday and it is absolutely perfect. It does need a bit of cleaning, but electronically and more importantly visually, it is almost like new. He gave it to me today. If I had to pay for one, I don't know if I could afford the money it would take to buy one for over $300.00, but $50.00 for a good used one sounds about right to me.

The EGA monitor should be pretty easy to find. They sold bunches of them. They're OK monitors, but the Princeton version is better. I have an IBM 5154 on a computer I use daily - it's a bit dim and fuzzy - I'd really like to find the Princeton EGA monitor - it has a better dot pitch. EGA monitors weren't as popular as other types, so they are, in general, a bit harder to get.

The 5151 monochrome and the 5153 CGA are common as dirt. Now, what is rare is the 5175 monitor, for the obscure PGA video adapter board set. I have the monitor, but have yet to loacte the video card to go with it. Not that it's particularly useful even with the video card, since almost no software supports that video mode, but hey, it's cool.

-Ian

I used to own a 5160 that had a fully expanded IBM EGA card but it was running an IBM 5153 CGA monitor. Rather strange, one draw program did 4048 colors on this config (looked like 64 dithered to me)

Also had a 3.5" external floppy and some other goodies. Nice system but I ended up selling it when I was trying to get rid of my stuff, can't seem to unload it anymore :(

Back