• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Whatcha guys think the chances are for getting one o'these??

Thomas Hillebrandt

Experienced Member
cullerlab.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Probably near zero.

They look like terminals to me.

Is that what they are?

Erik

Erik said:
They look like terminals to me.

Not sure, actually. I think, at best, they're probably some kind of "intelligent" terminals (as opposed to dumb terminals). It just stumbled upon them while cleaning up my Favourites (which was way overdue, btw). They look really cool, I think...

Question is if they still lurk around some basement at UCSB campus 8)

Here's the link:

http://kk.engr.ucsb.edu/culler/online.html

Re: Whatcha guys think the chances are for getting one o'the

Re: Whatcha guys think the chances are for getting one o'the

They don't run those ol' computer courses anymore, so the best way
to doing one of those courses would be to run one. Course you'd need
the knowledge! ;-)

Don't know about the computers.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Those machines look very strange, they can't possibly be dumb terminals because of the massive size of the box (unless the CRT has serious cooling issues).

The recessed keyboard is really neat-looking, though. 60's computer chic all the way. Reminds me of a PDP, or a Star Trek machine.

c

c

Nice pic, although if I had the hardware, the problem with these vintage systems is how to hook them up, getting peripherals and cables, and knowing how to use it (need docs).

UCSB (Culler-Fried) On-Line System !!!

UCSB (Culler-Fried) On-Line System !!!

The picture was taken in 1965 : these are mainframe special purpose display stations !!!

The whole description appears at this address :

http://kk.engr.ucsb.edu/culler/online.html

The whole idea of this system being to relate mathematical instructions to specific keyboard keys explains probably why any given keyboard on the picture actually looks like two identical twin keyboards ( one on top of the other ). Both keyboards are basic old teletype type of keyboards.

These display stations were certainly among the first mainframe dumb terminals !!!

Arnold

Back