• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's an Adam Bus? Is it the same as an S-100 bus?

I don't know if it is an unrelated system but through old press from my country I heard about some computer called "Adam III" which was advertised to have a natural language interpreter. The US company who built and programmed its software localized the interpreter to many languages, including Catalan. As far as I know, it was demonstrated in front of representatives of the elite businesses of Andorra in a hotel. Unfortunately although I know where and when the event took place I only have a picture of the computer and nothing else. I will try to find it, I remember the name of the company being written somewhere.

In any case, remember that the S-100 is a loose standard in the sense that only the lines used by the original MITS Altair 8800 were taken, with many tracks present in the backplane but left disconnected/unused. Those may cause conflict between third-party boards if they used them... I imagine this "Adam bus" is just a superset in which some of these lines may be reserved, but that's just speculation on my part.

Regards

I wish the images included a picture of the ribbon cable connector. Counting the pins would have excluded a lot of possible candidates. The connector does have a label of ADAM BUS so the card interfaces ADAM BUS to S100 bus systems.

I doubt it would be for the Coleco Adam. 1985 is after the Adam's demise and I doubt many units made it to Australia. Given the Samsomatic label, I expect that it would be some form of lab equipment. Advantech used to call their device interconnect ADAM-BUS but I don't know if the 1985 version used a ribbon cable that could plug into what is on the board.

Last edited:
I wish the images included a picture of the ribbon cable connector. Counting the pins would have excluded a lot of possible candidates. The connector does have a label of ADAM BUS so the card interfaces ADAM BUS to S100 bus systems.

I doubt it would be for the Coleco Adam. 1985 is after the Adam's demise and I doubt many units made it to Australia. Given the Samsomatic label, I expect that it would be some form of lab equipment. Advantech used to call their device interconnect ADAM-BUS but I don't know if the 1985 version used a ribbon cable that could plug into what is on the board.
I didn't have Coleco in mind... I was referring to a business central system to which terminals could be added. Unfortunately my memory lied to me... what I have is a drawing instead of a picture. The company/brand was named "Logical", which does not help when trying to find it in search engines.

Again, I don't know enough about it and it may be an unrelated system.

Back