• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Whats the cheapest method to ship to New Zealand from the States?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VERAULT

Veteran Member
I need to send something the size of an eprom to New Zealand from the USA. Cost is really a concern as this item is not worth anything. Time is not an issue, it can take as long as it needs if the price is right.
I remmeber when I was younger there were methods in the USA for sending small letter sized items for dirt cheap and it would take up to 4 months to get there. They have long since discontinued these services.. I think now would be the proper time to bring those services back since they are always complaining they are loosing money.

Sorry a bit of a rant. Our members in Australia and New Zealand any advice?

Thanks

Mick

USPS ships everything by air outside the US now so it can be expensive. Having said that stuffing a small padded envelope with an EPROM should be pretty cheap.

Nothing is cheap.

I just tried Pirateship.com (which has been usually the cheapest rates I can find) quotes me $18.25 USD. I was hoping to do better.

After an exhaustive search, I just last week ended up paying $15 to ship a single keycap to canada via USPS first class (in a padded envelope). Crazy, I know. But with that perspective, your $18.25 quote to ship the EPROM to NZ isn't sounding that awful.

Its ridiculous. Be it that I am I dunno 6.5 to 7 hours from the Canadian border I really dont understand why shipping to Canada is so problematic. I had to stop doing it via eBay. So when people do buy from me in Canada they need to pay eBays Global shipping service and I feel really bad at the rates they get.

Anyway. Ill try a few more places. I cant believe there arent 3rd party places popping up left in right to cash in and offer cheaper services (and worse service I am sure) but still it would be nice to have options.

I mean with all the online shopping durring the pandemic this should not be an issue.

USPS has actually ceased shipping to AU and NZ due to the lack of commercial flights into and out of those countries. You might try a drop-shipper (like shipito.com). Their 1lb economy is $25.75 to NZ.

USPS has actually ceased shipping to AU and NZ due to the lack of commercial flights into and out of those countries. You might try a drop-shipper (like shipito.com). Their 1lb economy is $25.75 to NZ.
well the shipito.com website is broken as it wont let you create an account. It only lets you logon as facebook it seems. Garbage.

That happens intermittently, but I've gotten USPS packages over that way recently. They just get delayed awhile but they get there.

Suck up and pay up. We are a long long way from North America. Can you not source the item closer to home"?

If it is something to get a system up and running you'll most likely need the item.

Sure beats moaning about shipping/postal costs.
It's not you, it's US. Outbound international from USA to anywhere is absurdly priced (even to Canada)

The aftermarket air filter I got in for my '76 Honda CB550 shipping wasn't bad using DHL at all. And it was delivered within 3 working days...

Give the person you are shipping the item options on the shipping/postage cost to them here in NZ. Or get them to arrange pick up and delivery from their end for goodness sake... Supply your pick up address and postal code for that address.

There are doers and moaners. Most of us here ain't moaners.

The item would have already been here by now if it was sent in the normal postal system......

I did many years doing international shipping to and from NZ and probably have a better idea what is involved than mostly anyone in this thread. Main thing is the NZ-US exchange rate not the cost of shipping/postage.

Last edited:
Looking to save on shipping fees is moaning to you?
Just suck it up and pay WHATEVER charge rather than find the best price? Haha, WHY?!
Must be nice to have all this weath to not worry about money.. Cant say I put myself in that category. Whats it like Caluser2000? Can you buy name brand beans and not worry about the stigma of store brand slop?

I never said I was in a rush to ship this.. I said time is NOT AN ISSUE..Anyway, Seems USPS is still the cheapest price I have found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back