• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's your favorite beer?

barythrin

Veteran Member
Ok, absolutely off topic but I was drinking some ice water at lunch and thinking how nice it was. I started thinking about beer and liquor where a lot of people I know say they can't stand it or drink it unless it's ice cold. Technically that masks the flavor the most, and room temperature would release more of the flavor but they don't like that so they must not really like what they drink.

All that aside, I enjoy a cold beer too but for many years drank my beer room temperature simply because it's fine, and also my lesser friends wouldn't come drink it all, but mainly because it's a good beer. I've heard of course that beer over seas is stronger and much better which dictates some of the guidelines in preparation.

So what's your favorite where you are? I suppose if you don't drink beer another alcoholic beverage of choice will suffice.

I'm in Texas, so my favorite is Shiner (just regular Shiner, not the new Black, Blond, or others).

Ah, finally a topic of some importance...

17-franz.gif

My 'favorite' often depends on where I am. I tend to favor local beers a lot. When I'm down your way, I drink Lone Star Longnecks, in the redneckest sh!theel roadhouses I can find. (The kinda joints that sane people try to avoid...the ones with all the chrome-plated pickup trucks in the parking lot).
I often drink heavy, dark ales, which are fine at room temp. Most recently (yesterday), I drank a sixer of Porter (John LaBatt Signature), but it wasn't that good, so I ended up mixing most of it into Black & Tans with some Busch I have here (the store was all out of PBR). Guinness or another stout ain't bad either, but imported stuff just costs too much here to drink regularly.

Fizzy yellow beer is for wussiez!

--T

mmmmmm Mickey's wide mouth or Old English 800 !!!

LOL, getting ill just thinking of those 2 here.

Hmmm....Guinness, sometimes a nice dark stout...for the average 'every bar has it' beer I'll drink Molson Pilsner here. Also really like Sleeman's Cream Ale, but I'm not sure if they're even making it anymore. I'm always ready to try a local or something different though.

When in Canada, I tend to drink LaBatt (blue?) Pilsener too, or sometimes Moosehead, cause it tastes like Strogh's, so it reminds me of home. I like a good Cream Ale too, like Genessee (New York) or Schoenling's Little Kings (Ohio), even though they aren't true ales, but more of a top-fermented lager.

Hell, when it comes down to it, I'll drink whatever somebody's buying (everything from pisswater to popskull). I ain't picky.

--T

beer

beer

Can't make up my mind.
Either Rogue Brewery Shakespeare Stout, St. Rogue Red, or Chimay Bleue
Maybe a beer will help this indecision...
patscc

Believe it or not, the best beer that I ever had was on a trip to the Coors Brewery in Golden, CO. This was pre-microbrewery era. I had a Coors that had just come out of the barrel. It was excellent. Much unlike the skunk-pee Coors that we bought east of the Missisippi when I was in College.

Generally I prefer medium to dark beers, although spending some time in Germany introduced me to hefeweizens and real lagers.

Beers are like women, there is something beautiful about each, if you look (or drink) hard enough.

The worst beer that I ever had was something called "Brigade" beer. My alcoholic boss gave me one when we were working late one night about 15 years ago. He was quite proud of the fact that he could get a 6 pack for $.99 at the package store. Blechh.

lol that one where all the mosquito's pass out from the fumes? Yeah our family in PA has the same motto, their choice beer is "whatever's cheap", though I've had a few local brews up there that I like. I guess I like to stick to a local brew when I can. What I find interesting is when a beer claims fame for a country when it's not true. I know folks do drink Guinness over seas so that's good, but from what I understand a lot of Australians dislike Fosters which I found interesting so I don't drink it for moral reasons. I heard something similar about budweiser here in US and I guess the german one is budweisen and some agreement not to sell in each others territory. I'm not big on weiser so I wish I could try the other just to see. I agree imports are a bit too pricey to turn into my regular choice but I still like trying them.

The worst beer that I ever had was something called "Brigade" beer. My alcoholic boss gave me one when we were working late one night about 15 years ago. He was quite proud of the fact that he could get a 6 pack for $.99 at the package store. Blechh.

Sounds like the beer one of the supermarkets was offering during the 70's "generics" craze. Bright yellow cans that just said "BEER" on them...

On my business trips back East, I used to take a 12-pack of Coors with me for customers who seemed to think it was the best beer ever. On the return trip, I'd take a pack of Stroh's (this was back when it was actually brewed in Detroit with Detroit River water, downstream of the GM plant--it was a decent beer with lots of body). That, and a vacuum-packed package of kielbasa from Maruschak's.

Sadly, neither brand is worth anyone's attention today. And good luck flying with a 12-pack and 5 lbs. of sausage as carry-on luggage.

Back