• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

When did you join ebay?

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I figure pretty much everyone here has an ebay account to buy hobby items. When did you join and are you still using that same account?

March 2 2001 here. 1227 feedback (all buying)

I joined either 1996 or 1997, and don't remember which for sure. I could figure it out if I had to: I went online with my A500 and bought my A2000, so if I could figure out when I started using that, I'd be close!

I'm not using the same account because originally the account name was required to be an email address. At some point, they switched to requiring an account name and not allowing it to be an email address. When they did that, for some reason instead of keeping my original account and changing the user name, I abandoned my account and started a new one some time later. I have no recollection of why that was.

My current account started 25 November 1998. I have 219 feedback, mostly buying, some selling. My score is 100% even though in the past it wasn't. I've had non-paying buyers leave me negative feedback, and also a couple sellers who claimed I didn't pay.

According to my profile,

I think that was before eBay hosted photos. Been a paypal member since they gave new recruits a $20 credit for joining. Somewhere, I think I still have an X.COM credit card.

Probably around 2008. I've bought a few small bits and pieces. Nothing large, and I've never sold anything.

E-bay never took off here in New Zealand. We have our own local trading site called Trade Me. People use e-bay for international buying and selling though. Shipping costs are horrendous from North America, not too bad from Europe and pretty cheap generally from Asia.

Tez

The shame of it all was that for a time, online auction sites were more numerous. Yahoo and Excite had them (Yahoo still does in Japan); Onsale was a great place to pick up slightly-out-of-date gear; Digibid for music gear (I still use their mousepad and I have the T-shirt). I can't even remember some of the others that I've used. I think that ubid is still around.

Then there were the eBay look-alikes, such as BidBay (whose founder was convicted on securities fraud), the "reverse auction" sites...

Too bad that we're basically down to eBay today.

I joined in either 1995 or 1996 and, being new to it, went a little overboard. I'm much more selective now and the prices are quite different from back then. :)

Most of the time I wish I had never joined. I'd have a lot less stuff taking up too much space.

Been buying untested unformatted floppies since August 2006!

Jokes aside, I did recently buy some "new in box" untested floppies where only around 1/3 turned out to be usable at all, though. It looks like they've been through a rainstorm to say the least. Reason: I needed some, and I needed them fast.

Been a member since 09 Jan, 2002.

Initially just to buy general bits n' pieces, not vintage computer stuff. But that soon changed. :D

I joined in either 1995 or 1996 and, being new to it, went a little overboard. I'm much more selective now and the prices are quite different from back then. :)

Did you know Pierre? Auction Web wasn't founded until late '95 and eBay didn't exist in name before late '97.

Feedback rating 638.

I did a REALLY stupid thing with my ebay account about 8 years ago: My account name was "jleonard" (my actual first initial and last name) and I changed it to "theoldskoolpc" because I was setting up a store. Of course, I can't change it back now.

July 4, 2001. Feedback of 2534, 100% positive. Had an ebay store for a while, until they changed the pricing from really cheap for a store to really expensive. Mostly sold Romance paperbacks, not enough profit there to give ebay 95% of it.

January 2008. Buyer only, I never sell anything. Actually I'm born that way.. don't know how to sell things, I could never work in a shop.

As Chuck(G) mentioned there used to be more alternatives many years back. Usually I just buy components and parts though, and the limitation of ebay is that it's nearly 100% linked to paypal, and paypal won't let you set an alternative address which is in another country. So to get parts now I've started to use Aliexpress (good so far, just use your head as usual - even a refund worked fine, so I'm OK) and a couple of other (shops, not frameworks like ebay or aliexp.) when in Japan.

Back