• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where can I buy an IBM 5150?

jeremysart

I used to have a 5150 growing up, but my mother threw it out when I was about 12 when we were moving. I didnt find out until I unpacked my stuff. I have been looking for one ever since.

I have checked quite a few thrift and computer store around the Detroit area, and eBay vendors either want way to much, or the shipping is ridiculous due to the weight.

Any pointers are appreciated!
Thanks,
-Jeremy
http://www.jeremysart.com

Watch for an eBay auction from a local seller, then ask (before bidding) if you may pick it up in person. That'll save a bunch of shipping and help justify the 'high' eBay prices.

Otherwise, did you try posted a Wanted ad in the "Marketplace" section at this website? Craigs list? Make friends with folks at the computer recycling center?

Mine was a lucky find - a forgotten storage room at a local school.

Depending on the condition you seek, Ebay is the obvious choice, doesn't hurt to check out local flea markets either, ya never know.. :)

Thanks for the replies.

"Otherwise, did you try posted a Wanted ad in the "Marketplace" section at this website? Craigs list? Make friends with folks at the computer recycling center?"

I will post an add in the market place here, I didnt know I oculd do that! As for craigslist, I have posted ads, I usually get replies for clones or apple computers. I regularly go to flea markets and thirft stores, and I have found some cool stuff there. I even got an Adam Computer, working, and some IBM keyboards in the box.

Haha, how did you manage to find one in a school? I have thought about that, I know my old school had tons of 5150s, then they "upgraded" to the macintosh.

Linuxlove,
Those I have already looked at, the one is too expensive for my taste, the other does not have the monitor or the keyboard and is untested :-(
But thanks for the effort!

Last edited:
I have checked quite a few thrift and computer store around the Detroit area, and eBay vendors either want way to much, or the shipping is ridiculous due to the weight.

Thrift stores are a waste of time. They once had mountains of computer stuff, but not anymore. You'll usually just find an occasional printer or a monitor.

As for Ebay, you can usually find what you're looking for if you're persistant, but the shipping is indeed a problem. My 5150 (just the computer itself; no monitor or keyboard) cost a total of $50, which is probably the absolute minimum you could expect to pay there.

Thanks for the replies.

"Otherwise, did you try posted a Wanted ad in the "Marketplace" section at this website? Craigs list? Make friends with folks at the computer recycling center?"

I will post an add in the market place here, I didnt know I oculd do that! As for craigslist, I have posted ads, I usually get replies for clones or apple computers. I regularly go to flea markets and thirft stores, and I have found some cool stuff there. I even got an Adam Computer, working, and some IBM keyboards in the box.

Haha, how did you manage to find one in a school? I have thought about that, I know my old school had tons of 5150s, then they "upgraded" to the macintosh.

Linuxlove,
Those I have already looked at, the one is too expensive for my taste, the other does not have the monitor or the keyboard and is untested :-(
But thanks for the effort!

untested generally isn't a major issues on these old machines... they are tanks. only thing you really have to worry about is the HDD, and more rarely, the PSU. the monitor/keyboard is a problem though yes.

I would suggest if you can't find a 5150 local .....then buy
just the system unit/keyboard from eBay. They can be
easily shipped without damage. If the 5150 has a CGA card
you can attach it to the composite connection of a TV set and
use the system immediately.

Then either find a monitor local or buy an 8-bit VGA card and
attach it to a modern VGA monitor. Going the VGA route is probably
better because the older CGA/EGA/MDA monitors will fail eventually.

I would suggest if you can't find a 5150 local .....then buy
just the system unit/keyboard from eBay. They can be
easily shipped without damage. Then either find a monitor
local or buy an 8-bit VGA card and attach it to a modern
VGA monitor. Going the VGA route is better because the
older CGA/EGA/MDA monitors will fail eventually.

yep, that and you can play some VGA games on the thing. ultima 6 anybody??? (it does CGA too, but it looks awful)

If the 5150 has a CGA card
you can attach it to the composite connection of a TV set and
use the system immediately.

I never cease to be amazed by Ebay sellers who say that they can't test a machine because they don't have a monitor for it when they could just connect the CGA card to a TV.

Then either find a monitor local or buy an 8-bit VGA card and attach it to a modern VGA monitor. Going the VGA route is probably better because the older CGA/EGA/MDA monitors will fail eventually.

Games with VGA graphics are slow on XTs and you have the compatibility problems with CGA games. You also can't use anything that has composite support. It might not bother you if you aren't a purist, however.

I use my newer machines for EGA/VGA stuff. Unlike CGA, I couldn't see much point to having a real EGA card, because very few EGA games are incompatible with VGA, and EGA monitors are hard to find (harder than CGA or monochrome).

If you're afraid of old monitors, you could try to find one of those converter boxes that lets you connect a VGA monitor to a CGA card. I have a 5151, but use it quite sparingly. In any case, there are relatively few games that have Hercules support. However, Hercules isn't emulated by VGA, so you can't use it without a real monochrome monitor.

Back