• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where can I find all Windows 7 updates sorted by date please?

From what I've seen, the most common telemetry is for program compatibility. As you know, you can set a program's properties to an older OS, so it can run better. Microsoft would like to know what old programs are still in use so that they can continue to support them in newer Windows.

There's at least 4 telrunner programs that I know of, but I can't remember offhand what the other ones do.

If you have a virus scanner such as the professional corporate version of MacAfee VirusScan, it has a section where you can block certain executables from running. I use it to block all the telemetry, also to block google's spyware, and the Adobe Reader program (RdrCEF.exe) that forceably puts your files on the cloud, like it or not.

Windows 7 64 daily driver here. I personally find the UI on later versions of Windows abysmal. I only play older single player games so my future is probably Windows 7 for the games and anything modern will be strictly Linux. I once tried Solaris x86 many moons ago. That was a mistake. My wife was a Sun/Linux admin and promised to hold my hand through my first Linux install when the time comes. I asked her if she would change my bedpan when the time comes. She said that doesn't run Linux. ... sigh

What do you mean by taking a "snapshot" of the system? Was it a copy of the entire hard drive sent to Microsoft back then? Or just a snapshot of certain activation status data?

Thanks for the info, I feel better knowing all this and I appreciate all of you.

Last edited:
Windows 7 64 daily driver here. I personally find the UI on later versions of Windows abysmal. I only play older single player games so my future is probably Windows 7 for the games and anything modern will be strictly Linux. I once tried Solaris x86 many moons ago. That was a mistake. My wife was a Sun/Linux admin and promised to hold my hand through my first Linux install when the time comes. I asked her if she would change my bedpan when the time comes. She said that doesn't run Linux. ... sigh

Try Lubuntu, it's my favorite. The LTS version is the most hardware friendly and stable of all the daily driver Linux distros i've tried, even though all of them are generally quite buggy.

Back