• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where can I find all Windows 7 updates sorted by date please?

This is exactly why you SHOULD READ THE DESCRIPTION OF EVERY SINGLE UPDATE and decide if you need it or if its worth the risk to the system rather than STUPIDLY HITTING UPDATE ALL!

Just a note. I was running W7 on a Gigabyte 990 board with a 8350 and and a pair of 7970's back in 2014/5. It was a decent gamer but it wasn't going to win any races. When the Asus Z170 was introduced, I jumped right on it. I went with the 6700K chip, 16GB RAM, and the Nvidia 1080, also a 500GB M.2. It was an impressive setup for its time, and W7 ran extremely well with no gotchas. I don't recall a lot of updates or fixes for the OS back then, maybe a chipset driver here and there but nothing that would rock the boat. The 1080 was another story, as it seems there was always something coming coming down the pipe for it. When W10 came out I held off for a while, and I think it was sometime in 2016 before I went for it. I found an outfit that serviced a Texas school district and got a "left over" legitimate key for $50. I ran a dual system for a long time and really didn't notice any advantage with regards to gaming in the W10 setup.

No need to get paranoid about going online once in a while with W7. Defender still works and if you're using Chrome there isn't a lot to worry about, just get in the habit of backing up your system. So, install W7, run the system and see how it goes. Good luck?

Have to echo the points about win7. I run it on two laptops connected to the net. Only realized they didn't have any service packs until recently. They have been fine, and one doesn't even have av. One of my desktops still runs xp thats fine too. Everything is behind NAT. Everything has had auto-updates turned off since i got them. Also ran a vista laptop for like 8 years with minimal problems.

Always used FF browser and usually it is out of date. Dunno what sites you are going to but i just don't seem to have these problems. Do have noscript installed though.

There were quite a few updates released for i7/5/3 cpus that slow down the system because of Spectre and Meltdown exploits.

I wish somebody would have a collection of updates sorted by year... I tried looking on archive.org but nobody has something this specific.
There is no private message option to ask them questions about the downloads either, except for one comment you can send.

I want updates just in case they will fix my stability problems. It just might work.

I specifically want Windows 7 updates no newer than March 2015. That's a month before Microsoft added the telemetry spying updates to Win7. Even though the PC will be offline, I want to be free from them because I can't stand the idea of any spying being present on my PC. It's a matter of principle and honor for myself.

My mission is to one day have a complete March 2015 and earlier Win7 update collection. Do any of you have it please? I wish I could pay someone to help me.

If someone can show me a complete list of all updates released after SP1 until March 2015, that would be wonderful also. Then I could download all of them separately from www.catalog.update.microsoft.com.

I downloaded a 2011-2019 update collection from archive.org and I tried sorting them out, but it's too much work. I have to look up the date for each and every update on the Internet.

Some of the updates in the download are for Server 2008 and Vista... why are they present? Wouldn't they break my Windows 7 if installed?

Sorry if I sound so desperate, but I feel I am completely out of options here.

Windows Update Catalog lets one search for only Windows 7 patches and sort those by release date. There are 11 pages of results from the release of SP1 to the most recent patch offering. Drop a couple pages if stopping at 2015. Even fewer pages of results if only 32-bit or 64-bit results are needed. Might take a little time to process but not that long.

I specifically want Windows 7 updates no newer than March 2015. That's a month before Microsoft added the telemetry spying updates to Win7. Even though the PC will be offline, I want to be free from them because I can't stand the idea of any spying being present on my PC. It's a matter of principle and honor for myself.

You're making no sense. If the PC is never going to be on the internet, why do you care if the telemetry is installed or not? It is effectively useless if there is no connection to the internet. And even if it was, you can null route all of the known Microsoft domains and net blocks, so the telemetry won't work regardless.

There also used to be lists of the offending updates that had telemetry in them, but most of them have seemed to have disappeared. Here's a few that I've found with a quick search.

Some of the updates in the download are for Server 2008 and Vista... why are they present? Wouldn't they break my Windows 7 if installed?

No. Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2 all had commonality to them, where Microsoft was able to issue the same patch for all four operating systems, depending on what was being patched.

Not only that, but if the patch is not for your computer your attempt to apply the patch will be rejected.

I'm no madman. It's smart to be suspicious of Microsoft, given their history. Who knows if the telemetry updates can do something else to my PC even if it's offline?

I just don't trust any Windows updates made after March 2015. I don't know which updates from then on are safe and which ones are not, or if there is hidden telemetry disguised as a harmless security or feature update. Microsoft is closed source, so we are unable to see the source code to find out what they are hiding.

I finally went to the Windows Update Catalog website homepage and the search bar is not working anymore. I type Windows 7 and nothing shows up. I even type a random KB update in there and nothing pops up either.

Last edited:
"No. Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2 all had commonality to them, where Microsoft was able to issue the same patch for all four operating systems, depending on what was being patched."

Some of those KB updates I found on the Windows 7 update collection from archive.org did not show any Windows 7 version when I looked them up on Windows Update Catalog.

It made me think they were put in there by mistake.

Yeah looks like the catalog is broken. Typing in any search term just returns the search term in quotes. Entirely useless.

I'm no madman. It's smart to be suspicious of Microsoft, given their history. Who knows if the telemetry updates can do something else to my PC even if it's offline?

I just don't trust any Windows updates made after March 2015. I don't know which updates from then on are safe and which ones are not, or if there is hidden telemetry disguised as a harmless security or feature update. Microsoft is closed source, so we are unable to see the source code to find out what they are hiding.

I finally went to the Windows Update Catalog website homepage and the search bar is not working anymore. I type Windows 7 and nothing shows up. I even type a random KB update in there and nothing pops up either.
What makes you think Microsoft wasn't "hiding things" before March 2015?

Linux is always an option...

You may as well not use any version of Windows since Windows 9x. This is tinfoil hat territory, Windows isn't going to do anything to your computer if it can't connect to the internet.

Newsflash: Windows 7 has telemetry from the RTM release. It doesn't matter if you install all of the update or none of the updates, Windows is always going to be sending data to the mothership.

As Plasma said, you may as well move over to Linux. But not any Linux, Linux that you build yourself from source, since you're so terrified someone's watching you.

That old Rockwell song "Somebody's Watching Me" comes to mind.

Because Microsoft took it down, just like they take the KB and WU catalog down for every prior Windows release when it goes out of support.

Odd. When I go to Windows Catalog and search for "windows 7," I get results that have dates listed as early as 2007 (default printer drivers and the like). The relevant list includes patches for the beta from Feb 2009. Image has been cropped to conceal some potentially identifying material.
windows update win7.jpg

"Newsflash: Windows 7 has telemetry from the RTM release. It doesn't matter if you install all of the update or none of the updates, Windows is always going to be sending data to the mothership."

What kind of telemetry does Windows 7 have starting with the RTM release? What kind of data is sent? All I know is they started sending more than just diagnostic data in 2015.

Sorry, I just always have to be aware of any new info. Hopefully someone here can tell me if you don't want to. Also is the Win9x and onward stuff you mention related to Windows update data leaks or something?

And by the way Gigabyte, you don't have to make fun of me going overboard and posting a video to mock me, lets be civil please.

Last edited:
Anyway, I just checked and the Windows update site is indeed no longer down. Now all I have to do now is figure out how to sort them by date. Any clues? I wish the site would let me browse more than 1000 results at a time. I have the patience.

Moving to the end of the list, it does end close to where I want it to, but looks incomplete as you can see. I remember they did upload some old 2011 updates later in 2014, so this list is out of order.

Thanks for the help in getting me one step closer to my goal. Now all I need is direction to a webpage with a list of all Windows 7 updates ever made so I can match them on the update catalog site.

Last edited:
You can click on last updated to sort by date. If you sort ascending, it will show the first 1000. If you sort descending, it will show the last 1000. The results overlap so you should be able to see them all.

What kind of telemetry does Windows 7 have starting with the RTM release? What kind of data is sent? All I know is they started sending more than just diagnostic data in 2015.

CEIP - Customer Experience Improvement Program. - Not always enabled, but can be accidentally turned on and is known not to ever turn off properly. Leaks system information to MS.
Internet Explorer - One giant security hole from its inception. Leaks browsing data, among other things. Since MS used it as part of the OS, ACE and RCE were possible.
Windows Update - Leaks system configuration to MS when checking for updates. Also gives them your IP address, which can be used for geolocation, which MS definitely uses.

Also is the Win9x and onward stuff you mention related to Windows update data leaks or something?

WU leaks data, and updates leak data. Late in Windows 9x's lifetime, Microsoft introduced an update to make sure you were running "genuine" Windows. AKA. not using a stolen/duplicate/generated key. They take a snapshot of your system to tie it to the key and store it on their servers. None of this works anymore, at least publicly, since MS shut down the WU servers for Windows 9x back in 2006 or so. But if you have a Windows 9x box connected to the internet, it's still going to try and E.T. Phone Home. Windows 2000 didn't require activation, but it did have a similar update late in its lifetime as well.

When you activate Windows from XP onwards, Microsoft takes a snapshot of your system information and ties it to the key so that you can't use a single key to install 300 machines.

Back