• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where can I get a replacement pin straightener cheap?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So my old plastic cheapo IC pin straightener has finally broke for the last time. I have melted it back together at least 4 times but its done. 20200909_191808_resized.jpg

I see them going for too much online. Do they go by another name? Id be ok buying the same junky one if its cheap but I dont want to pay much. If they make a good metal one Id certainly pay more. Any thoughts? I use this pretty often so I need a replacement and soon.

I prefer smooth-jawed long-nose pliers. I've got a set of pin straighteners here somewhere, but thought they were more trouble than they were worth.

I use smooth jaw/duck bill pliers of the really mangled ics. But some just need a straighten or new ones are bowed out. I like the ic straightener. Sinple and it works.

So does anyone make these a little more rugged or less prone to break. I have gone through 2 of these since I opened the thread (purchased at Jameco). They are all this flimsy plastic which eventually just breaks. IT seems brittle to begin with.

Honestly what are these things made of birthday candles and 90's macintosh cases?

Last edited:
I've owned one and have never used it beyond trying it out and discarding it. I prefer the smooth-jawed needle-nose pliers method. Since you're flattening the pins in addition to bending them, there are far fewer broken ones. I check registration with a piece of perforated prototyping board.

Functionality wise. ITs great. I use them often. Its just made of cheese and costs too much (because its a Kraft single by quality standards... NAY store brand cheese singles). If there was an actuall tool made of I dunno Metal maybe that did the same thing and didnt cost a prohibitive amount Id purchase it. Its pretty convenient for most straightening. saves using duckbill pliers too often.

Jameco has them and I've used one for years. Not only to realign bent pins, but also on new IC's that often have pins flared out. It prepares the pins for insertion into sockets without having to hand bend the pins or twist the IC side to side to get the pins into the sockets.

Jameco has them and I've used one for years. Not only to realign bent pins, but also on new IC's that often have pins flared out. It prepares the pins for insertion into sockets without having to hand bend the pins or twist the IC side to side to get the pins into the sockets.
thats where i got them and thats certainly one of the many things i use it for.. But alas they break.

I've had my three for years, haven't broken one yet. Dropped them and misused them with solder covered IC's recovered from old boards. (I'm a cheap SOB) So maybe I'm just lucky? They're cheap - so buy several like I did. I keep one with my TL866, one on my workbench and one spare for when I can't find the other two. Don't ask how many volt meters I have - even the red ones get lost at times!

Back