• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where can I get a replacement pin straightener cheap?

The way the Hakko DIPliner works is that those wheels aren't smooth--they're impressed with the pattern of DIP leads. The idea is that they'll gently force a moderately out-of-line pin into its proper position. Obviously not something to under a DIP that's been stepped on or been rolled over by your car.

I have gone through 3. I ordered 3 more. But they clearly arent of any real quality to justify thier price. They used to be abundant. Now only Jameco has them? They just develop cracks then crumble. Im not using them any rougher then anything else. I assure you they are inferior.

I think I saw some.. Still have yet to take the plunge and the cost of sending it to a fellow member or printing house would be as much or more than the jameco tool.

I guess the feeling I am getting is most people dont use these things that much?

As pointed out I straighten pins after removal or before insertion. And fix the bowed out pins on new IC's. Guess this is all done by hand for most folks?

I took a look at the 3D printed designs available to print on Thingiverse and there's several, a couple are one size fits all and others are narrow IC's or Wide IC's only. In general, you need to make up springs from ballpoint pens and acquire metric screws and threaded inserts. All doable, but a PITA for just a couple of each unless you normally have them on hand. Shipping and parts cost could end up costing more than just buying from Jameco, IMHO.

Not cheap, but reportedly, very good: Hakko DIPliner

Those devices have a very specific function, you know when you get a tube of brand new DIP ICs, the legs are always splayed outwards at a particular angle, maybe intended to keep the IC locked in the holes in the PCB prior to soldering? When you first fit one in a socket you always have to bend the pins on both sides more towards the vertical so that both rows of pins go straight into the holes in the socket.

That is what the device linked to is for, to quickly bend the two rows of pins on new ICs closer together so that they will drop quickly and easily into a socket.

If you try to pass an IC with malformed pins through one of those it will only bend the most mangled pins even more. They are definitely not what Verault is looking for.

Edit: I may stand corrected, having seen ChuckG's post #21 - all the ones like that that I have seen have had smooth rollers.

Last edited:
Back