• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

where is the z80 chip in a game gear

linuxlove

Veteran Member
i opened up my sega game gear to try and fnid the z80 chip. there are 5 chips on the board, none of which look like a z80.

this first chip says:
SANYO
LC3664BML-10

the next chip is green and unmarked

the third chip says:
JAPAN 9328
65256BLFP-10T
0005299S

the fourth chip says:
SEGA
315-5682
942-IPX233

the fith chip is green and also unmarked.

The first is an SRAM and the ones labeled "Sega" are most likely custom chips. Either of the others have 40 pins?

i just broke the brightness dial on my mainboard. anyone got a spare SGG mainboard?
You mean you're not going to replace the dial? ;-)

aw rats

i just broke the brightness dial on my mainboard. anyone got a spare SGG mainboard?

That is very easy to do on the Game Gear. Its a fairly well built system, but it's not very forgiving if you open it. My guess is like the Gameboy, it uses a z80 clone instead of an actual Zilog z80, which would explain why the cpu is hard to identify.

another thing i wonder is if the SGG is region-free, because wikipedia says (and you never can trust wikipedia) that you can buy a SGG game from europe and it will work in a GG from the USA. is this true?

also, if anyone has spare rubber pads for the START, 1 and 2 buttons, i need one beacuse when i opened it, one went missing.

EDIT: never mind, i found it

Last edited:
I'm not sure when region specific coding started. It's kind of a BS move IMO, just to get more money and kinda screws the consumer. I know it was probably meant as a way around us getting things that are already released overseas before they're released here and/or to prevent us buying it in Asia for a 4th of the price so someone here can make a bigger profit.

Anyway, it wasn't a big deal AFAIK with older stuff until game companies started using CDs and DVDs and the market went a bit less consumer friendly. Sorry if I ranted.. sore subject ;-)

another thing i wonder is if the SGG is region-free, because wikipedia says (and you never can trust wikipedia) that you can buy a SGG game from europe and it will work in a GG from the USA. is this true?
Yes, all Game Gears can run carts from any region.

right, i'll talk it over with my mom.

on another note, i now know why batteries in the GG last 0.000001 second: the backlight bulb is the size of a AA battery >_<

Its the same length, but narrower.

BTW a rule of thumb for GG Tuner compatibility. If your Battery life is 4-5 hours, its compatible, if its 5-6, its not. Around the time they did the revision to drop Tuner support in the design, they also did a revision to make the machine a little less battery hungry.

Back