• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where to buy a 64?

So im looking for a Commodore 64 (preferably original breadbox version) and i dont want to deal with the high ebay prices. Where do i look to buy one?

Have you looked on craigslist? I occasionally see very nice looking ones (usually complete setups) going for reasonable amounts.

So im looking for a Commodore 64 (preferably original breadbox version) and i dont want to deal with the high ebay prices.

Last I checked, ebay prices were all over the place. What do you consider high? Also, as MikeS asked, just the breadbox? Or do you want a PSU, other accessories with it?

I would highly recommend an REU, just for the power supply. The standard "brick" will "brick" your "breadbin."

I would highly recommend an REU, just for the power supply. The standard "brick" will "brick" your "breadbin."

I have a couple of out of spec bricks, that I've been meaning to rebuild, if I ever get some time. I've yet to even open one up.

Do you know if they're potted inside, or is everything easily accessible?

I've got a pile that are dead, too. Well, no they're not; they're very fit to fry a C64; every one of them is putting out far more than 5V on the 5V line. I don't have time, else, I really need to fix some; I've got a ton of 64s and only one reliable power supply (from an REU).

They are potted. I've repaired other potted things, successfully, but until I actually open one I don't know what kind of surprises await.

I did open one twenty years ago, and don't recall how bad it was. I didn't bother to repair it, as I assumed I was done with '64s when mine fried.

I do seem to remember opening it by cutting the bottom off with a knife; that is, cutting right at the seam and prying the bottom off. But it's been a long time, so maybe consult with someone who's opened one more recently. Maybe there's even a YouTube video. If not, maybe I'll make one.

So im looking for a Commodore 64 (preferably original breadbox version) and i dont want to deal with the high ebay prices. Where do i look to buy one?
I have several that i would part with. We can talk about the purchase + shipping. I'm willing to put together a deal through private messaging.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

I have a couple of out of spec bricks, that I've been meaning to rebuild, if I ever get some time. I've yet to even open one up.

Do you know if they're potted inside, or is everything easily accessible?
Most of them (especially the black ones) are indeed potted and a real PITA to get at the guts; however, some people have managed to remove the troublesome 5V supply and replace it with a more reliable small switching supply. The 9VAC section is usually no problem and can be left as is.

Back