• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where to buy an Atari 9-pin plug

hackerb9

Experienced Member
So, one of my Atari 2600 joysticks went bad (no fire button) and I found that the wire had broken right at the plug, so I couldn't just solder it back together. I tried a standard 9-pin D-sub serial port connector, but was disappointed to find the metal housing makes it not fit in my ColecoVision's A2600 adapter. (Why did Coleco recess the ports so far inside the machine?)

Does anyone know a source of Atari controller 9-pin female plugs that are encased in plastic? If they exist, I can't find a search term that turns them up. The cheapest way I've found is to buy a brand new "Genesis Compatible" joystick from China for $6 with free shipping. But, it seems a terrible waste to buy a product and throw it, still unused, in the e-waste after cutting off its plug.

Thanks for any help.

There are also Genesis extension cables for a similar price which are a bit less wasteful.

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? I'll even be able to use the other end for another project I'm working on.

I'd buy this: https://www.ebay.de/itm/293419198293

and replace the whole cable instead of just the plug.

Good idea on replacing the whole cable as it would look nicer, but the original Atari cables had a specially shaped strain-relief that I'm rather fond of. It passes vertically into the base and rotates 90° to horizontal to snap into place. Also, that cable already has the horseshoe lugs the circuit board wants.

Thank you, both!

I've actually cut the metal housing off a standard D-Sub connector to plug it into an Atari 7800 before. Looks awful though as the only way I could think to insulate it at the time was to put a bunch of hot glue on.

Good idea on replacing the whole cable as it would look nicer, but the original Atari cables had a specially shaped strain-relief that I'm rather fond of. It passes vertically into the base and rotates 90° to horizontal to snap into place. Also, that cable already has the horseshoe lugs the circuit board wants.
With some craft, you can reuse both. :)

Back