• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which Operating System do you use?

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Cool I'm in!

So what do you use or have you used out of those?

I have used:

* CP/M-86 v1.1 For the IBM PC/XT - which is the 16bit equivalent of CP/M-80 v2.2.

On a 8bit Computer (which is an Amstrad CPC6128) I've used:

* CP/M Plus (v3.1)

* CP/M v2.2 and;

* BASIC - which is what is referred to as AMSDOS, which comes in it's own ROM.

- Of the 3 on that machine I used AMSDOS (since the majority of software is commercial available for that system) & CP/M v2.2 for programming mainly because it's the Disc (yes Disc) Based Operating system available for all that range of machines! :-D

Oh okay - forgot abot this! :confused: Didn't think I would have been personally upto making a thread like this.

I think when I made it I had Vintage Operating Systems in mind because I've used OS/2 Warp V3. I've also used Windows 3.1 & Windows 2.x - though they don't really qualify as Operating Systems now do they, likewise I've also used GEM which falls under the banner of Operating Environment! The Operating System behind those would have been PC-DOS 3.30 and PC-DOS 5. I also used DR-DOS 5.x which is Digital Researchs equivalent of DOS 3.30.

CP/M can be confusing and even frustrating to use as an Operating System, though once one has got some books and a feel for the command line it's not too bad. I think because DOS ripped it off, the consensus there is people except it to perform and behave the same way as DOS, when it's not like that at all! The beauty of it is it's size and how big programs can be in it.

Haven't really used any of the 'nix's though one of the Interesting ones I saw was for one called Minix which was designed to run on the lower end PCs like XTs & 286s. Noticed that their project is still going (has been going since 1987!) Minix 3 seems to be the latest Incarnation. Though I've literally seen heaps of 'nix adaptions, unfortunately my busy lifestyle limits me to trying that stuff out! :(

I'm a *NIX user for about ten years, so I'm actually looking forward to testing Minix or any of the Unix-ports on the Z80 :)

I have actually _never_ tried CP/M. Yes, I admit, it is true. But then again, I am pretty new at this. My first "real" 8-bit micro was the MSX and I mostly wrote BASIC and played games on it. After that I used an Amiga, then Linux, Windows and Mac, Solaris, BSDs, etc.

But I'm really looking forward to trying out CP/M!

Minis: VMS, SINTRAN-III. Micros: CP/M-2.2, CP/M-3/Plus, a range of Apple-II DOS variants and UCSD P-system. PC-DOS, MS-DOS of course.. I never moved to Windows. But I worked on pre-Warp (IIRC) OS/2, I wrote a couple of drivers and an X.25 remote login system (so that I could log in to a customer's OS/2 system). Then came *nix variants (first SunOS, then some fiddling with Minix, Coherent etc. until 386BSD and Linux came around). And basically all mainstream *nix variants.
These days it's still *nix and Linux, and now I've also got some SBC kits and I'm again fiddling with CP/M.

There are some other obscure operating systems I also worked with way back (obscure as in really obscure, or also as in "can't remember what it was called". But words like FLEX and OS/9 seem to trigger some memories. And the (physically) big department computer we had in school didn't have an OS - you just loaded whatever you wanted to work with into core memory from paper tape).

-Tor

1/3 of my desktop systems employ DOS so I stuck with MS-DOS 6.22 on all but one which I use DR-DOS 6. A small portion of my collection is Macintosh computers. One is a PowerPC, which I put OS 9 on and the other is a Motorola 68040, which I would use System 7.6 if a SCSI HDD wasn't a chore to locate. The rest are mid-90s desktops with common installs of Windows 98 and a few ME. I might consider playing with NT and maybe some lightweight Linux distros.

Half of my laptops are early ThinkPads, which I make use out of OS/2 Warp 3 (and some Warp 4) but some models do not provide drivers for OS/2 so I improvise with Windows 3.11 or 95. Others include the Powerbook 145 and 145B with System 7 on both of them and a Powerbook 3400c with OS 8. All other laptops are either too modern for discussion or have no OS at all (In disrepair).

My all time favorite O/S is UNIX* the stuff that came from AT&T from the early 1970s through the 1980s finishing with "Destiny", UNIX SVR4 199? and nothing beyond. As well as its various spin offs at Sun, SunOS , Solaris. I also have happy memories of C (K&R C) under CP/M on a NorthStar rapidly swapping floppy disks as a multi-overlay program ran. OBB

I am in the process of trying to bring up a Sun version of SVR4 for i386, which needs both a CD/DVD drive and a Floppy. I am getting there but the first 486 machine, built from salvaged parts blew taking the PSU with it. It now works out someone made a mess of replacing the large caps on the board. Anothe motherboard is now in the pipeline and SVR4 will rise from the ashes yet. stay posted UNIX* is the word! OBB
* unix was the trade mark of Bell Labs NJ, AT&T and various others!

Thanks for the interesting stories folks, sorry I haven't posted in this thread in nearly 8 years! Can't say unfortunately that I've played with any more old Operating Environments/Systems, seem to be more intrigued with coding on my old computer. :eek:

Okay, Hi everyone and please advise, I would like to know if there is a way to run windows 3.1 on an Amstrad 9512 PCW please.
If not I will have to find another vintage PC to play with as I want to use the early Microsoft word/Word perfect program/s, will I need to add hardware/ software or is that a non starter? cheers

Back