• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which versions of DOS and Windows are in these sealed packages?

juicylemon

Experienced Member
I have these two sealed packages with OEM versions of MS-DOS and Windows. The left package says Microsoft Windows for Workgroups and MS-DOS 6.2. Does anybody know what version of Windows this actually is? Windows 3.1 or Windows 3.11? I would also like to know what MS-DOS version of right package is.
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0082.jpg

I have these two sealed packages with OEM versions of MS-DOS and Windows. The left package says Microsoft Windows for Workgroups and MS-DOS 6.2. Does anybody know what version of Windows this actually is? Windows 3.1 or Windows 3.11? I would also like to know what MS-DOS version of right package is.
View attachment 21217
View attachment 21218
I have the English equivalent. It'll be Windows for Workgroups 3.11. That Dos graphic is similar to my boxed copy of MS Dos 5.0. My OEM MS-Dos Concise User Guide (AKA handbook) has a blue diamond with "Includes DoulbleSpace" in white lettering. Looks like the letters on the "DOS" two toned though so may well be later looking at other images online.

Attachments

• IMAG0109.JPG
    IMAG0109.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I had (mistakenly) thought that "Windows for Workgroups" automatically meant 3.11 but I guess there was a 3.1 also? That is per Microsoft's support article.. I thought the "for Workgroups" was the part that implied networking, but I guess I just missed the v3.1 product. Not that I would have been paying for bleeding edge back then.

Only main difference is WfW 3.1 could run on a 286 but you still couldn't use the networking part as that required a 386 or above. WfW 3.11 killed Standard Mode as an option, had a few core files changed and support for more devices. The core files are easily able to get hold of http://www.mdgx.com/w31toy.htm#W3X Some other nice Win/WfW 3.1x goodies on that link as well.

Last edited:
Only main difference is WfW 3.1 could run on a 286 but you still couldn't use the networking part as that required 386 Enhanced Mode. WFW 3.11 killed Standard Mode as an option, had a few core files changed and support for more devices. The core files are easily able to get hold of http://www.mdgx.com/w31toy.htm#W3X Some other nice Win/WfW 3.1x goodies on that link as well.

That's a gold mine of useful stuff for wfw. Thanks!

You're welcome AXCELs site has been around since the mid 90s iirc seems to add bits as they come along. A few links are broken now though.

Last edited:
For the DOS version I still get the inkling it's actually DOS 6.22 - just don't think I've seen a fancy authenticity badge + product key sticker like that on anything earlier than mid-90's. My OEM packs do not have the artwork, but doing a google image search I see some of the foreign market 6.22's do have it. Couldn't be certain without opening it or getting a date code or something similar though.

I had (mistakenly) thought that "Windows for Workgroups" automatically meant 3.11 but I guess there was a 3.1 also? That is per Microsoft's support article.. I thought the "for Workgroups" was the part that implied networking, but I guess I just missed the v3.1 product. Not that I would have been paying for bleeding edge back then.

It's pretty rare, I've never seen it in the flesh myself.

Workgroup Add On for DOS is quite handy easily forgotten about tool too - server/client but no Windows.

For the DOS version I still get the inkling it's actually DOS 6.22 - just don't think I've seen a fancy authenticity badge + product key sticker like that on anything earlier than mid-90's. My OEM packs do not have the artwork, but doing a google image search I see some of the foreign market 6.22's do have it. Couldn't be certain without opening it or getting a date code or something similar though..
Found a copy today whilst having a clean out. It's 6.22. The Cert. of Auth. just has a 9 digit number though. My copy was made in Singapore. No rego card diamond on the OPs one though. Different market I guess.

Attachments

• IMAG0113.JPG
    IMAG0113.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0115.JPG
    IMAG0115.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You can strip the networking stuff from wfw for use in plain Dos http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/library/network/wfwdos.htm There was a copy of wfw 3.1 on trademe about a year or so ago.

Yeah, that's basically what the Workgroup Add On is without manually copying files / big Windows install :) Has it's own setup program etc.
Also runs quite happily next to NWLite, which is why I'm using it. DOS 3 to Windows 7 - all can access the same hard drive + printer (without my XT's wasting > 100 KB of RAM)

Must've missed that 3.1 WFW, I probably assumed they meant 3.11 and skipped over it. I see Windows NT 3.1 is there at the moment though.

Last edited:
Back