• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Whoa! The 5170 front badge can be reoriented!?

misterblack

Experienced Member
I picked up a 5170 yesterday and took the front bezel off. Looking at the backm I noticed you can rotate the badge to any 90 degree orientation. Is this common knowledge? Funny is I had never heard of this on this machine! It makes it especially nice if you have the computer in a vertical "tower" configuration.

Some pics:
https://imgur.com/a/AqjhN

I was also amazed at how chunky and thick the metal badge is. I love old IBM machines!

Very nice find !

What cards were installed in the AT ? Does it boot from the hard drive ?

Does anyone have any spares of this type of square badge? I have a couple cases that are missing them... They don't have to be IBM.

And sorry, I don't mean to thread-jack. It's just the same subject.

Maybe IBM was copying Tandy. The Tandy 2000 (released before the AT) also had a rotating badge and optional tower stand.

tandy2000.jpg

Very nice find !

What cards were installed in the AT ? Does it boot from the hard drive ?

Well it no longer had the original motherboard and had some 386SX installed. Luckily I had a PC-Calc full size 286 which I installed. In it was the original floppy and power supply. It also had a Miniscribe 20 meg MFM 5.25 hooked with original IBM cables to a full length MFM/floppy controller. It also had a IBM serial/parallel card but it has some burned traces so it doesn't work. I may try to troubleshoot. The MDA card was some tiny triangle ISA card but it also didn't work. I tossed that out.

It had an Amdek 310A MDA monitor which works although with a little burn in. Oh and it had some floppy interface tape drive.

The best part is it had the original manuals as well and a copy of IBM DOS 3.

So with my 286 installed and the parts back in, it does boot into DOS 5.0!! I was stoked that's it is quite a nice system for just $20. I'll post some more pics.

Ummm ok, but how you want to power on/off when its turned vertically with logo on the top?

Ummm ok, but how you want to power on/off when its turned vertically with logo on the top?

You could also use an external power strip or under monitor power distribution center to control it. It wouldn't be a good way to orient though as it would out the drives at the bottom and far from reach. :)

Back