• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why did this Apple II only sell for $710?

That looks like a late model logic board, maybe even for an apple II+. Also, the power supply is a later one for Apple //e, not the original gold tone. I am not totally sure, but just my initial impressions.

Board looks to be maybe a revision 3 or 4. The fact the memory select jumpers are not soldered, I'd guess Rev.3
I think the PSU is correct. Seen plenty of early II's with silver PSUs. I think mine has one with an SN that is very close to that of the machine.

Things that don't quite look right are that it only has 16k RAM. I'm guessing that it was originally a 48k machine and that 2 banks have been removed.
Also, the 2513 character generator has been replaced with an EPROM. Didn't think it was possible to directly swap this (Could be wrong)

For an untested machine, I think the price is a bit high. Nice condition though.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for the replies. I’m trying to learn the subtle differences between all the machines from a collectors perspective.

As a person who still doesn’t know exactly what he’s looking at, your replies help.

Thank you everyone.

I agree with of the above, except on price. $710 actually strikes me as a little low for a system this early, especially given its in great condition cosmetically.

Probably the biggest minus here is what someone above pointed out already--its only socketed with 16KB. It will be difficult for the new owner to source RAM chips and still keep it period-accurate.

The power supply is also not original. It's serial number is pretty far off numerically from the case.

The board is probably original to the case..but the raised power light design was being phased out around this time, so it's hard to say.

It's a nice piece, but needs extra investment to bring its value up.

Back