• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why did this working PDP-8 end up getting "parting" out ?

inotarobot

Veteran Member
Why did this working PDP-8 end up getting "parting" out ?

I wonder if they were simply expecting way to much $'s for the complete system and have no idea, OR maybe care less, that it will be way harder for any DEC collector to get reworking.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282580429763?ul_noapp=true#viTabs_0

As a generalization it seems more of these Very early rare complete-near complete Computer systems, are getting 'Parted out', simply so some person or company can turn an extra dollar.

I feel its like cutting up the Eiffel tower, or Statue of Liberty, or the UP BIG BOY steam engine, as no one has the money asked by seller, to own the complete item.

So instead of asking for expressions of interest with what are you willing to pay, plus what skills do you have to keep it complete, they just 'CUT it UP".

It really sickens me.

Ok, yes this seller does say
... it seems to be part of a larger complete system...
, and yes, I did not see what they were asking for it as was, prior to them parting it. So I could be a tad hard, adding his specific seller; to those that are simply greedy for top $, as bits. rather than a complete system.

MIND you, in my view these Mounting Panels would have been more marketable had they left the Flip Chip modules inserted in original locations, as one could have had a better chance of adding this populated wire wrapped panel to an existing system.

Interested to hear other DEC owners thoughts of this.

DEC 1943 Style Mounting Panel Module Digital Equipment Corporation PDP PDP-8 Rare! This panel was pulled from a large system we had for sale, but are now parting out. This will hold 64 single flip chip modules, or 32 dual flip chip modules. It already has wirewrap on it, which could be removed and rewired to your liking. This rack is not labeled 1943, but it is functionally the same. It seems to have been part of a larger custom built system. Please see our other listings, we have over 250 flip chip modules listed, negibus cables & three more of these panels. We are happy to combine shipping, so please ask before purchase. Please see photos for condition.

Last edited:
Playing Devil's Advocate, perhaps it's because we're all too cheap to pay what it would cost to properly ship it intact?

This same topic comes up regularly on my antique radio board. People get outraged, accuse sellers of all sorts and, often what it boils down to is that they think that the seller somehow has a moral obligation to take a loss, to assuage their sensibilities.

I dislike parting out as much as the next man, but that's not how it works. If nobody is willing to pay what it will take to keep a system intact, then it won't be kept intact. Instead, the parts will end up completing or repairing other systems. So, instead of one complete and 8 partial machines, there will be, say, 6 complete machines, two machines that are closer to completion and a few scraps. In the end, what's so wrong with that?

I dislike parting out as much as the next man, but that's not how it works. If nobody is willing to pay what it will take to keep a system intact, then it won't be kept intact. Instead, the parts will end up completing or repairing other systems. So, instead of one complete and 8 partial machines, there will be, say, 6 complete machines, two machines that are closer to completion and a few scraps. In the end, what's so wrong with that?

Yes i have to agree with this. Its the same in most hobbies.

I just worry when there are only one or two examples left of a system, and one gets Parted out, due to someone wishing to get top $ return, often on something that they actually got so next to zero $, because they were in the right place at the right time.

I believe that the card cages came from a two cabinet PDP-8/I that used to run an ice cream plant. The owner failed to sell the system for a very high price on eBay. The processor cabinet was sold, and the I/O cabinet was disassembled and the parts are now for sale. The card cages looked like they were just custom I/O for the plant, and were not DEC controllers.

And if the system hadn't been purchased at auction and offered on eBay, it would have been scrapped rather than parted out. If one of us had purchased it at auction, it would end up in somebody's basement (or hillside computer shed :>) ), so who's to say what's best.

The one clear advantage to all this is that stuff that would have previously been scrapped by the owner without a qualm now gets worldwide exposure and, potentially, distribution.

Not sure about anything else economic or political, but this kind of "trickle down" seems to be pretty good for everyone involved.

Jack

BTW - just reviewed the eBay listing from last November - the full-up twin rack system was offered at $6,000, local pickup only. Not really a bad price in today's world.

Last edited:
Ted Saari recently posted about this phenomenon (parting out) in the Chicago Classic Computer Club facebook group: He listed a classic Mac (unsure which variant) for several weeks at $80 with no takers, so he decided to part it out. After the last part was sold, he calculated he'd earned over $230. So depending on what is being sold (rarity? commercial success? demand?), parting out is more lucrative.

And a little bit of the same issue there - Ted's original sales listing was on Craig's List because he didn't want to ship the Mac; posting parts on eBay is a whole different world. I'm sure he could have also sold the complete machine on eBay for his listing price if he was willing to take it to the UPS store for shipping.

Jack

...and then what about something too big for the UPS store?

Is it easier to deal with an LTL freight company, packing and strapping the gear to a pallet, getting a forklift to shuffle it around--or just hauling it down to the local recycler?

A lot of us are getting older and downsizing and don't have the time or energy to dispose of things the way others would wish. I suspect that when I depart this vale of tears, my lovely wife will hire a couple of husky guys and a large dumpster to take care of my "legacy". She'll have enough problems as it is without having to deal with selling old gear.

Just the way things are, folks!

...and then what about something too big for the UPS store?

Is it easier to deal with an LTL freight company, packing and strapping the gear to a pallet, getting a forklift to shuffle it around--or just hauling it down to the local recycler?

A lot of us are getting older and downsizing and don't have the time or energy to dispose of things the way others would wish. I suspect that when I depart this vale of tears, my lovely wife will hire a couple of husky guys and a large dumpster to take care of my "legacy". She'll have enough problems as it is without having to deal with selling old gear.

Just the way things are, folks!

I'd suggest putting together a list of nearby folks that would be willing to be 'husky guys' in exchange for picking through the pile (or hauling it off). One less thing for her to worry about. My dad passed recently, and the task of emptying the workshop/construction warehouse and selling the tools/equipment is rather daunting, let alone sorting through 40 years worth of accumulated car parts and trying to match them to the cars they came from.

CW

Good luck with that--we have a very aggressive e-waste recycling program, supported by taxpayer dollars. I've seen palletloads of old iMacs for example, hauled in there to be taken to pieces by the developmentally-disabled staff (this is part of a community employment program). We just don't see many older systems here--which is why you want to get the stuff out of the area to save it.

I believe the seller is a member here (carlostex), perhaps he can shed light on it.

Things do get parted out for reasons, as stated above. I usually try to sell things whole rather than going through the effort to part them out...but if something sits in the shop long enough, it'll get parted out, especially if it's cosmetically filthy or something. Then again, I lower prices on items that aren't selling, and almost always have "Best Offer."

Back