• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Why you don't use $20 power supplies

:wallbang:
Sorry for giving you false hopes. I was so into "unusual pinout" that I couldn't tell Compaq and Dell apart. Well, it shows more than one manufacturer liked to experiment with the pinouts while still maintaining the same physical connector. However I remember Dell shortly after reverted to standard ATX, perhaps depending on which motherboard sub-contractor they used.

It was also Dell who made a PSU with nonstandard pinout that was guaranteed to turn your (conventional) motherboard to magic smoke, wasn't it?

The Compaq PSU that I have is for an Evo W6000 (even today, not a slouch!)). Unfortunately, nothing on PSU pinouts.

Edit: I think I can suss the pinouts from the Compaq PDP PSU pinouts given here and the WTX pinouts given by the archive.org link to http://www.wtx.org and the power supply PDF. Not the same by any means, but the color codes given by the PDP document and the required signals from the WTX document should give me a fairly complete picture.

The stunning thing about Compaq was that there were no fewer than four different power supply pinouts and connectors used across the Evo series of desktops.

Last edited:
Back