• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Will trade SD CARD(s) for CF CARDS(s)

Gib

Experienced Member
I'd like to get a 512mb CF card to put in an XT-IDE. (A 256mb CF card would be my second choice.)

In exchange, I have a variety of SD cards to choose from: a 512mb Lexar SD card, a 512mb Kingston SD card, or a 4gb Amazon-branded SD card (just got it along with a new camera).

Let me know if you'd trade one or more CF cards for some combination of my SD cards.

[Edit: 128GB CF cards would be my third choice. I don't need a lot of storage on an IBM portable 5155.]

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm sorry that I do not have anything to trade with you, but a quick look on Amazon shows that these devices are still available for sale:

256 MB:
http://www.amazon.com/256MB-Sandisk...343069853&sr=1-76&keywords=Compact+Flash+Card

512 MB:
http://www.amazon.com/512MB-Sandisk...343069820&sr=1-59&keywords=Compact+Flash+Card

I know that many times it is much nicer to trade stuff you don't need and get stuff you do need, but it is also comforting that these things are still available in the sizes that you are looking for.

I hope this might help...

smp

smp,

Thanks for the links. Yes, I did look through the eBay listings and Craigslist, as well. But $26 for a 512mb CF card seems a bit high now that we've moved on to multi-GB SD cards. I thought perhaps some forum members might have one or more old CFs left over from previous electronic generations.

(I edited my above post to open up the possibilities of any combination of SD and CF cards).

commodorejohn,

I'm not sure if the 1GB will work, since I get a "Divide Error!" when I run a favorite program, "PCSHELL," on a 1.3GB drive. The software works fine on a 500MB drive, so that's why I'm looking for smaller rather than larger CF cards. Thanks for the offer.

I have found a (domestic) source of 256mb Sandisk and Viking CF cards @ $5 ea. I ordered a couple, and if they check out I will provide the vendor's email address. They assure me that the cards are available at this price only because they have been superseded by newer technology and not because they are Chinese counterfeited cards.

commodorejohn,

I'm not sure if the 1GB will work, since I get a "Divide Error!" when I run a favorite program, "PCSHELL," on a 1.3GB drive. The software works fine on a 500MB drive, so that's why I'm looking for smaller rather than larger CF cards. Thanks for the offer.
You should be able to make smaller partition(s) using FDISK with the larger cards.

Noted, but this way the 500MB drive that would otherwise be collecting dust is serving a useful purpose (and the 1.3GB can collect the dust, for now anyway). Truth is, I don't have anywhere near enough old software to fill up even a 256MB CF card.

The last vintage radio rally I went to, there was a guy with a large box of 512MB CF cards for £2 each. I bought a couple, but have used them already (on a similar project).

If I see him again at the next one (in August) I'll probably get 1 or 2 more for myself. Are you interested?

paul.brett, Thanks for the thoughtful offer. I'll PM you if my domestic source doesn't work out. (BTW, I visited your museum. Impressive collection. Surprised there wasn't a single Apple, though. Are you anti-Apple?)

4GB Compact Flash cards are being pretty much given away (in the UK anyway, I recently paid under £5 delivered for a Transcend 4GB card from a major high-street retailer). For XT-IDE purposes, set the translation mode to NORMAL and they will appear to the OS as 504MB :)

Good to know, pearce_jj. Clearly, I need to review the online XT-IDE documentation.

Newer CF cards less likely to work with XT-IDE than older cards?

Newer CF cards less likely to work with XT-IDE than older cards?

Hmmm... I've just come across replies by Chuck(G) and eeguru on another thread indicating that they've had difficulty finding newer CF cards that work with the XTIDE. Apparently, in their experience it's older CF cards (like the lower capacity cards I'm looking for) that get along best with the XTIDE. So, maybe I'm on the right track after all.

The issue with the through-hole XT/IDE is related to an error in the termination of the CSEL line on the board.

paul.brett, Thanks for the thoughtful offer. I'll PM you if my domestic source doesn't work out. (BTW, I visited your museum. Impressive collection. Surprised there wasn't a single Apple, though. Are you anti-Apple?)

I had three MACs (one Plus, one Classic, and one SE30) but I didn't know what to do with them. I tried to sell them, but had no takers, so I dumped them.

I think I am probably a bit anti-Apple, especially the modern stuff.

I had three MACs (one Plus, one Classic, and one SE30) but I didn't know what to do with them. I tried to sell them, but had no takers, so I dumped them.

Ouch! That's hard for me to read, Paul. Must have been somewhat difficult for the curator of a computer museum to toss a few old computers into the trash bin, even if you don't like Apples.

My first computer was an Apple II, and I went on to get a II+, a IIe, and a IIc, so I have fond memories of early Apples. Never had any Macs, though, until my family added a contemporary iMac 20" to our household "collection."

As promised, having checked out the $5 256MB CF cards (a Samsung and a Viking) and found them to work, I'll provide the email address of the vendor to anyone who asks via a PM to me.

Back