• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

win 3.1 project

seabass1858

im thinking of using a pentium mmx to start an internet 3.1 project. what all would you recomend for this. remember windows 3.1 and opera 3.64. would it work effectively to access the internet.

You're wasting your time using a 32-bit CPU to run a 16-bit OS that loads a 32-bit OS/DPMI server to run a 32-bit browser.

I don't even think that early versions of NCSA Mosaic used a 16-bit base, but loaded WIN32S.

You might be much better off with very contemporaneous 32-bit operating systems. Windows NT 3.51 or 4.0, OS/2, Linux, FreeBSD, BSD/386 and others.

Whats the machine specs? There'd be a lot of page loading errors I'd imagine. NT 4.0 and Firefox 3 would be a lot better. What else do you intend to do with the machine? Run dos and Win3.1 apps? You can duel boot to dos/win3.1 if needed. Whats the machine specs?

Edit- I see your having success in the other thread.

Last edited:
The latest version of Firefox 2 will run on NT 3.51 just fine (with some tuning of the OS and browser).

Opera 3.62 (I was unaware of 3.64 if it wasn't a typo) works pretty well for the modern web still, rendering maybe 20% of pages fine, and 30-40% usably - with knowledge of HTML you can navigate 80% of pages or so, but that involves reading the source for links and then pasting them in. The runner-up would be IE5 for compatibility, and while it renders some things better, it's highly crash-prone when it finds something it doesn't like, whereas Opera will generally keep going.

Arachne is the best DOS-based browser, being compliant with most modern standards, but that's not Win3x.

As for using a Pentium to run Win3x - perfectly reasonable to me - there's 16-bit Win3x apps that benefit strongly from a Pentium, like Zombie Wars, so it's not unreasonable.

win 3.1 project

I like your answer and opera seems to do everything i ask it to do. no problems except for video streaming which i knew would happen but as far as checking emails and browsing the web it is perfictly fine the specs are pmmx 166mhz 48mb, 4mb pci video 1.7gb scsi.

Back