• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Win 98se USB issues

yorkie

Hi,

Always had issues with 98se with regard usb. I remember my first usb flash drive, it was either 256 or 512MB and came with a FD to ensure working with the OS. Fon't know what happened over the next 22 years but I don't have the disc or flash drive. A fresh install of the OS has not picked-up enough info/settings for it to be "just P & P". I've no doubt that there will be a restriction on memory size it will see and it is hard to locate flash drives in low storage amounts so I'm trawling through the net to locate something but it sees most companies sites and independent sites have deleted much older stuff.

One 2014 thread I read here quoted this site :-

which, of course, is now seemingly dead so of no help.

Has anyone got the download or can point to another suitable site?

Kev

I think there is some confusion I need to clear up: there are two variants of NUSB.

The original ones by Maximus-Decim:

and the forked one I linked to above:

For an english copy of 98, use Maximus-Decim. It's not as up-to-date as the fork, however.

ps: this is another example why it helps to fill the "Location" in your profile. :)

I clickety, clicked but nothing!

Wow, what a thread. It just shows you that in all this time there is still nothing much about to enable progress. I should think 99% of the thread quoted links are now dead and it shows how things have been "junked".

It's well known that MS made their money not by bug fixing but by bringing out the next all singing, all dancing OS and as it was only about 3 years in-between the major launches (95 in 96 and 98 in 98 (?). That just leaves a tight deadline to produce the emperor's clothes (eye candy).

Just a bitter frustrated comment or two :)

Kev

In a galaxy far far away in a time long long ago, I installed the attached usb driver on my Win98SE. It is based on windows 2000 usb driver, so it handles all kinds of usb sticks just like w2k does. It worked, although I thought it was a bit flaky (or maybe it was the OS that was flaky).

Some time later, I decided to install Microsoft Office 97. This turned out to be a bad idea. Not only did Office continually crash, it also killed the USB driver. I therefore uninstalled Office, but the USB driver never worked again. In the end I fitted a network card (Intel E100) and put the machine on my internal network so I could safely transfer files. This has been quite reliable. The machine still works today, and is used mainly for gaming. It also has IE6 which works on a handful of sites.

Attachments

• [win98 usb driver]nusb33e.zip
    723.7 KB · Views: 3
You can also just install Windows ME with decent USB support built in but still 100% Win 98 compatible for games or apps.

Robbert - Yeah, been there and have the T-Shirt. My new, clean install of 98se has issues it didn't have before. The one I'm battling now is why "My Computer" or "Explorer" will knock out my CD-RW (but not the CD-Rom) if I click the 'x' in upper right-hand corner to close the window. I'm better of, File -> Close but that is not 100% certain to keep it alive for the day!

krebizfan - I've downloaded NUSBe , thanks for the heads-up. ;-) Mine must have been where the sun don't shine!

The clean install after a format of partition obviously left me no Autoexec and config base files and I forgot to transfer them to a safe place duuh! I've really squeezed the brain juice trying to reconstruct something and this may be an area where I've made the set-up flakey? I did find an example of each lurking in w98flat but only two lines exist in either one. Obviously Windows has taken on ever more within it's own kernel and makeup files over it's iterations to enable 32-bit drivers to power it. So, a couple of lines each in Auto and config may well be o.k. but what about when a user goes to a DOS environment?

I used to know all this but have sadly declined. I take it Windows provides a virtual DOS box but will that allow the add-on units, like CD-R/R-W/USB ports/Mem sticks etc that we have all come to rely on to function?

Cheers,
Kev

I can get you the contents of my autoexec.bat & config.sys when I get back to where the computer is, in 2 days, if that helps.

I think that those add-ons won't be working in DOS.

Yes please Robbert!

Add-on should work in Dos. After all, the cdr manufactures provided dos drivers and utilities.

I think MS os's swap these files when called for. Autoexec.win becomes Autoexec.bat, ,say when needed! I'm led to believe that Me was first to only accept variable.

Kev

Here are my files. You may regard them as samples to help you build up your bootup files.

CONFIG.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO BREAK=ON DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS rem DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS /V DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 32768 a=15 FILESHIGH=60 FCBS=8 SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:512 /P rem DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000 COUNTRY=044,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS

AUTOEXEC.BAT
@ECHO OFF SET DOS=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND SET TMP=C:\TEMP SET TEMP=C:\TEMP PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\GAMEDLLS;C:\ZIP C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MODE CON LINES=50 SET CTCM=C:\WINDOWS SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0 SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620 T6 SET DIRCMD=/A SET COPYCMD=/V SET WINPMT=SHELL\$P$G VERIFY ON BREAK ON LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DOSKEY SH=%DOS%\DOSSHELL $* :H60 /G IF EXIST SCANDISK.LOG DEL SCANDISK.LOG

Good luck :)

In the old days Microsoft had online updates for win98, but you had to ask Windows to look for them. Of course, they no longer exist, so you can't get the fixes, patches, and security updates that were available then.

That's just the issue nowadays; no direct support to refresh memory.

I notice that the ATAPI is rem'md out. I take it that if you want pure dos you take the rem command out?

My system is all SCSI and I'm having difficulty locating older information for Adaptec. I seem to remember there was a specific load order and I think that is an issue which is making my auto and config not align and work correctly. The loading does not like either aspi2.sys and aspicd.sys.

This was a breeze 21 years ago ;-)

Kev

The ATAPI is rem'd out because I never use the CD drive, and I wanted to save some memory. I think I might have last used it to install Quake 2 or something. I normally just copy things from mapped drives.

I don't know anything about SCSI, sorry, apart from needing terminating resistors or something like that.

Back