• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 12 in the wings

What needs to be done, is for Linux to become a little more user friendly and cater to the Windows user's needs. Most people don't want to have to deal with a command line. People want to fire up their PC, see a menu, click and get to work. If they need to download, click on an icon and let the install begin. Yes, it needs to have the look and feel like windows before the masses will jump in.
I already use OSX ;)

(JOKES...)

I would guess the vast majority of regular Windows users don't even know what Linux is or might know but will never be willing to try it. Windows does what they need so why would they change? But Linux installs software from a GUI just like Windows. Just find what you want and click install.
I have tried various shades of Linux but just prefer Windows. I know there is a lot of criticism and fair enough some of it is warranted, but for me Windows 11 is really stable and I have just ditched the adware to lean it up. Installing it on unsupported hardware is easy too as there is a registry tweak which bypasses the requirements (kindly provided by Microsoft themselves lol). Each to their own .. I can absolutely see why people like Linux but also Windows.

If you have to modify it so it behaves correctly,, you have already seen the warning signs. Its just a giant bloatware package at this point.

I'm currently running a Windows 7 and Gentoo Linux dual-boot setup. Outside of a few applications (that run fine in a VM) I've been able to migrate most of what I do to Linux and will never run a subscription OS.

If you have to modify it so it behaves correctly,, you have already seen the warning signs. Its just a giant bloatware package at this point.

It's always ridiculous to see people bashing Linux for being complicated and requiring lots of "under the hood" tweaking to get it working right, when ever since Windows 8 was released, it and every subsequent Windows release has required special programs and guides and registry tweaks and power shell mucking around to remove all of the bloat, spyware and workaround the artificial limitations imposed by Microsoft to get it working.

At this point, Windows 10/11 are far more of a headache to get running properly, and keep running properly. All the while, constantly keeping an eye over your shoulder for more bloat and spyware being forced down the pipe from the Redmond mothership with updates you can't disable anymore.

I thought this might turn into another one of those Windows vs Linux arguments ... I was right.

Would it be a misstatement that most desktop PCs sold today for home use are used almost exclusively for gaming?
The other day I happened to get in to a conversation about a few random computer topics with a younger fellow that was working at a store. After talking about a few older computers, he asked me if I had my own "rig".

Yea, "gaming rig" is literally what kids call desktop computers these days.

I hate this planet.

It's always ridiculous to see people bashing Linux for being complicated and requiring lots of "under the hood" tweaking to get it working right, when ever since Windows 8 was released, it and every subsequent Windows release has required special programs and guides and registry tweaks and power shell mucking around to remove all of the bloat, spyware and workaround the artificial limitations imposed by Microsoft to get it working.

At this point, Windows 10/11 are far more of a headache to get running properly, and keep running properly. All the while, constantly keeping an eye over your shoulder for more bloat and spyware being forced down the pipe from the Redmond mothership with updates you can't disable anymore.
No, what's always ridiculous is you constantly bashing Windows when there are currently about 600 Linux distros out there. That's what I call a crap shoot. I'm currently running W11 on 2 laptops and 2 desktops with no major issues.

I would prefer that Microsoft allow me to "enable" the things I want on vs. them enabling just about everything. It is a real pain to try to turn off all the setting I don't need nor want. Especially where it's sending stuff back to home base. And I should be able to allow/deny patches I want or don't want on my machine. It seemed to go from where you could to where you could not. I no longer use Windows on anything I own and am very happy with my choice.

No, what's always ridiculous is you constantly bashing Windows when there are currently about 600 Linux distros out there. That's what I call a crap shoot. I'm currently running W11 on 2 laptops and 2 desktops with no major issues.
I see far more wining Windows users ove esaduating about ther amount of Linux distros available and
how hard it is to install on internet forums like vcfed...

A thing seemingly not grasped by large number of people is that those 600 distros are differentiated mostly by the desktop GUI. The Linux kernel is pretty much the same across the spectrum. Some distros keep their own repositories and can pull in distro-specific packages (e.g. using Ubuntu packages on Debian--it can be done, but it's a mess). I stick with Debian because it's the most conservative of the popular distros.

Yea, "gaming rig" is literally what kids call desktop computers these days.
As a resident younger person, I personally usually say "gaming desktop" or "gaming pc" to differentiate from a regular desktop, but I don't think it's unfair to call one a "gaming rig" at this point. The era of the basic, boring mid-tower is over. Realistically, at this point, there are two main types of traditional desktop computers, gaming PCs and low-profile, ultracompact desktops for school computer labs and grandma to use. If you need a "normal" computer that isn't made for gaming, you just get a laptop at this point. They've gotten good enough now that the vast majority of consumers don't need anything else. "normal" mid-towers still exist, but the user base is tiny. Then of course there are AIOs, servers, NAS hardware, and workstations (which usually have the same GPUs as a gaming PC anyway). So I wouldn't call it too unreasonable for the average young person nowadays to call desktop computers "gaming rigs" or whatever, as that's what they're mainly used for at this point. You just don't see new mid, mini, or full tower cases anymore used for much else.

A thing seemingly not grasped by large number of people is that those 600 distros are differentiated mostly by the desktop GUI. The Linux kernel is pretty much the same across the spectrum. Some distros keep their own repositories and can pull in distro-specific packages (e.g. using Ubuntu packages on Debian--it can be done, but it's a mess). I stick with Debian because it's the most conservative of the popular distros.
This is another thing I highly dislike about Linux. I'd like to imagine that a bunch of OSs based on the same kernel should be able to run each other's software without issue, but nope. You've got ubuntu, debian, arch, etc. packages and some software is only available for one or the other. There are ways of course to get software for one distro to run on another, but as stated by Chuck here, it's tricky and "a mess" at times. I may be a technical person, but that doesn't mean I want everything on my computer to be complicated at all times.

As a resident younger person, I personally usually say "gaming desktop" or "gaming pc" to differentiate from a regular desktop, but I don't think it's unfair to call one a "gaming rig" at this point. The era of the basic, boring mid-tower is over. Realistically, at this point, there are two main types of traditional desktop computers, gaming PCs and low-profile, ultracompact desktops for school computer labs and grandma to use. If you need a "normal" computer that isn't made for gaming, you just get a laptop at this point. They've gotten good enough now that the vast majority of consumers don't need anything else. "normal" mid-towers still exist, but the user base is tiny. Then of course there are AIOs, servers, NAS hardware, and workstations (which usually have the same GPUs as a gaming PC anyway). So I wouldn't call it too unreasonable for the average young person nowadays to call desktop computers "gaming rigs" or whatever, as that's what they're mainly used for at this point. You just don't see new mid, mini, or full tower cases anymore used for much else.
A "gaming desktop" is just a regular desktop with a window, tacky lights and an expensive graphics card. I also wouldn't consider the market for workstations tiny...there is a reason that Dell and HP still sell them.

I didn’t say the workstation market was tiny, I said that the market for the consumer desktop was. Everyone just gets laptops nowadays, myself included.

Who is everyone? The ratio of laptops to desktops sold is around 2:1.

Back