• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 2 on a IBM PC XT

I know, but still there is a menu item for resizing it :p Anyway, an 80 column monochrome EGA video output should work I guess. It boots up to Windows 1 and I can do some movements there.

window resizing only works if you have TWO windows on-screen... it will always leave a spot at the bottom to leave as a spot for minimized icons..

Ok. The Executive has a menu item 'Zoom'. On which Windows also crashes :p

i think zoom made the window the most big, umong other windows on screen.. that im not familiar with..

you might still have memory problems.. do a memory check on the system.. i don't know if Memtest 86 works on XTs or not, ever tried..

The memory is always checked during startup, how should Memcheck contribute to that?

The memory is always checked during startup, how should Memcheck contribute to that?
the BIOS memory checking isn't always through.. Real memory checking utilities to more thorough tests..

For example, my old 286 would pass it's check at startup.. But, when I did a thorough test (for weird lockups), i had a bad parity issue..

I have memtest 86 but it doesn't work on an 8088, I figured it probably needed 32-bit CPU to run.

BTW, over on the Uncreative Labs site, I posted an article about "Windows 3.0 on an 8088". The original article was written by someone (not myself) who posted it back in 2000 or 2001 on the Uncreative Labs website.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.uncreativelabs.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=388

He does have a few minor errors in the article (for example that Win 3.0 needs 640K to run) but the article still gives a lot of useful info.

Tnx :) Very informing. A little mistake: the Xerox Alto (and later the Apple Lisa) was the first system built (in 1973) for a GUI. The Mac came after the Lisa.

Anyway, Windows 1 still doesn't want to do anything useful but shutting down, so I'm going to copy Windows 2 on some discs now :p

good luck with windows 2!

On my XT, I had to remove the VGA card modification because of some "issues". Back to MCGA, and I noticed that i have more free RAM for Windows now.. there's a hint ;)

Tnx :) I have to use EGA because I only have an EGA compatible monitor. But I'll just use the monochrome driver.

Hrmm... Windows 2 has no 'the monochrome driver' :p

What display driver should I use for my EGA card with 5151 on it?
  • IBM (or 100% compatible) EGA (> 64K) with Enhanced Color Display
  • IBM (or 100% compatible) CGA (Color/Graphics Adapter)
  • IBM EGA with High-Resolution Monochrome Display
  • IBM EGA with Enhanced Color Display (black and white)
  • IBM EGA with Enhanced Color Display or PC Color Display (color)
  • IBM MCGA (Multi-Color Graphics Array)
  • Hercules Adapter with High-Resolution Monochrome Display
  • AT&T Color DEB (Display Enhancement Board)
  • AT&T Monochrome (Indigenous Display Board)
  • Compaq portable Plasma
  • Tandy 1000 Color
  • Other (requires disk provided by a hardware manufacturer)

does "IBM EGA with High-Resolution Monochrome Display" work with your monitor? That might work, but make things a little "skinny"..

You might be still fine with a color mode though.. it's all worth giving a shot..

IBM (or 100% compatible) EGA (> 64K) with Enhanced Color Display and AT&T Monochrome (Indigenous Display Board) don't work. I'll try the Hi Res monochrome then. But a 5151 is not hi res :p

Can the 5151 display 640 vertical lines? :eek:

Wow, a new revolution in IBM's world XD

You're the ****ing best. It works! :D

And I just started Clock without crashing it! :D

a CRT can display any amount of horizontal pixels. What limits it is how many vertical pixels.. (assuming we keep the same scan-rate)

640x200
HHHxVVV

Since it's still the same 200 lines as as other modes, it's safe.. (the low res EGA)..

Ok, I didn't know that. By the way, it fits perfectly with this resolution. It's not stretched.

I'm going to install Word and Excel. Only problem here: I have a serial pointing device, an original 1984 Microsoft mouse, but it has never been used so I don't want to use it :p But doing everything with the keyboard is not too handy >.< lol

Ok, I didn't know that. By the way, it fits perfectly with this resolution. It's not stretched.

I'm going to install Word and Excel. Only problem here: I have a serial pointing device, an original 1984 Microsoft mouse, but it has never been used so I don't want to use it :p But doing everything with the keyboard is not too handy >.< lol

you can get some serial mice cheap these days

Yeah I have some, but I need a wide serial connection, not the small 9-pin one.

Back