• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 2 on a IBM PC XT

Yeah I have some, but I need a wide serial connection, not the small 9-pin one.
RadioShack might still sell the adapters...

you need a male db-9 to female db-9 adapter.. (wired specifically for serial ports)

if not, ebay is a good source..

btw, what's the microsoft mouse look like? I got the old IBM PS/2 mouse.. it's heavy

It's this one:

1984_microsoft_mouse_325.jpg

And here's the original shipping foam:

9cb4_3_623.jpg

It's connector fits perfectly on the display adapter. By the way, how can I add a pointing device in Windows 2.03 afterwards? I thought that would work just like Windows 3 but I can only add printers.

wow, that things gotta be worth some money! I honestly don't know how to install a mouse afterwards.. hopefully someone here knows..

btw, this is what the IBM PS/2 mouse looks (atleast, I believe it's the first PS/2 mouse! :p )

double yes, that is the real lighting at my desk, and that IBM XT (PS/2 Model 25---perhaps the last "XT" ever produced?), is on the internet, on this thread.. it's what im using right now..

ibmmouse.jpg

Wow, that's cool :p

I know Microsoft made a mouse which looks a little bit like your PS/2 mouse. That computer is really cool, it's small :p Contrary to all earlier PC's of IBM. Amazing that you got it to access the Internet. That kind of projects are just too much work for me :p Can you also reply to post in that text-only browser?

Beautiful composition of the picture by the way, with the lighting, colors and dish. Hehe :p

Yep. Sorry I took too long to respond, I had to log into the site, on my XT. ;) I'm typing this on it right now. There's an MS mouse that looks like it? I wonder if they colaborated with IBM to produce the mouse or something.

Oh, and thanks about the lighting and the bowl. I'm a photographer, when im not using a computer, and I was hungry for rasin bran, lol

Does anyone know a simple screensaver for Windows 2.03? I tried Magic but that doesn't work (although the programmer says it should).

Does anyone know a simple screensaver for Windows 2.03? I tried Magic but that doesn't work (although the programmer says it should).
i couldn't get that to work either.. i think it needs a 286..

I use "Blank-It".. after so long, the screen just goes blank, and you have to hit ALT to reactivate the screen.. it's a DOS TSR, and it needs a switch to work with Windows.. "/w"

works great! too bad downloading it will be a little hard, as the company whom hosts it, has had their FTP server down for awhile now...

Why are they still asking money for that :S

Anyway, the 10MB of hard drive space is almost full so I can't install Word or Excel. Because the installation files are greater than a 360K disk capacity I first have to copy them to the harddisk and then install the programs, and that would cost double the amount of space. So despite Windows 2 works, I still cannot do much with it XD

Maybe you have some cool smaller programs for Windows 2? :p

Rubix, there is no version of Excel that will run on an 8088/8086. I've tried to install v 2.0 of Excel (it needs Windows to install) and it just hangs with the floppy drive light on and the hourglass in Windows showing. I had to reboot the computer.

The first version of Excel (v 1.0) was released only for the MAC, version 2.0 of Excel was released for the PC but it needs a minimum of a 286 CPU.

Word 1x for Windows will install on an 8088/6 but with Windows and Word running, your free RAM will be low. When I run it on an 8088 under Windows 3.0 and VGA video, I have about 67k of free RAM left with a blank page open in Word.

I have some unusual 286 motherboards which are really 'XT' class motherboards. While they do have a 286 CPU, they only have 8-bit expansion slots and 640K of RAM. Even though they have a 286 CPU, the CPU cannot be switched into standard mode. It runs in real mode all the time.

I tried installing Excel on one of those 286's under Windows 3.0, but it wouldn't install there either.

Thanks, that will save me some work.

Can you recommend me some programs that are suitabile to run on a 8088 with Windows 2? :p

i never had a program run on my XT under windows 2.0.. heck, i never had a program run under Windows 2.0 on my AMD 2400+.. i don't think it works with anything really..

BUT, those windows 2.0 stuff, most of their programs do run under XP ;)

I ran Word and Excel on my 286 under Windows 2. But that computer runs 3.1 now :p

I can tell you now that Word 1.0 for Windows will run on an 8088 and Excel 2.1 - th elatter even in 512. I've run them on multiple XT's. Now I was using Windows 2.1 and I think both programs require Windows 2.1 to run on, not 2.0

Jedinovice, that is most interesting that you have gotten Excel 2.1 to run in an 8088. I will have to try it again. That would be cool to run both Word and Excel on an XT.

No, I won't expect Power Point to run on an 8088!

I do have an early version of Microsoft Office (1.0? 2.0? There is no version number marked anywhere on the manuals or disks) that states it will run on a 286! (This version has Word, Excel and Power Point! Imagine running Power Point on a 286.)

I know Word for Windows 1x will run under 3.0 and I have read it will run under Windows 286 (which is really a renamed version of 2.0), so it will probably run under Win 2x as well.

There's not much software that will run under Windows in real mode (meaning an 8088/6).

I assume you're going to install that from 3,5" floppy disks?

No, I've got it on 3.5", 720K floppies (I've installed a floppy controller with BIOS, so I have a 3.5" 1.44meg. floppy and a 360K 5.25 in. floppy).

Back