• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 3.1 Server

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
Just for kicks, how would I get desktop box with windows 3.1 on the internet, and serving some simple HTML? I saw the website that a guy was running almost entirely from one Windows 3.1 laptop and thought about Mah Little Pentium.

Well you would need a Winsock stack and a HTTP server (are there any for 3.1?) on top of the dos level drivers if we are talking ethernet connection. We used to use a package called "Lan Workplace", I think.
It has been a long time since I put a 3.1 system online.

Well you would need a Winsock stack and a HTTP server (are there any for 3.1?) on top of the dos level drivers if we are talking ethernet connection. We used to use a package called "Lan Workplace", I think.
It has been a long time since I put a 3.1 system online.
I have the HTTP server software itself for 3.1, but I need some form of generic ethernet driver, and what the heck does Winsock do, and where do I get it?

I'm always losing winsocks in the dryer...

Windows 3.x did not have native support for TCP/IP, so IIRC winsock basically added this functionality. Trumpet Winsock used to be the one of choice for us in the dial up days.

I think MS still offers the TCP/IP addon for Windos 3.x, at least it did last time I was messing with it, but that was a few years back.

I did some googleling and found this. It says its for Windows for Workgroups 3.2, but it may work on 3.1, give it a try and let us know.

Mike's (rubbermallet) server should run on win3.1 and it uses Peter Tattam's NTCPDRV. Isn't that the driver from the old trumpet winsock stack as was used for win31?

Mike's (rubbermallet) server should run on win3.1 and it uses Peter Tattam's NTCPDRV. Isn't that the driver from the old trumpet winsock stack as was used for win31?
I tried mikes DOS server, but the documentation seemed... lacking. I wasn't able to figure it out, and it can only have one person on it at a time. I would like something windows 3.1-native

I tried mikes DOS server, but the documentation seemed... lacking. I wasn't able to figure it out, and it can only have one person on it at a time. I would like something windows 3.1-native
Actually there is a readme. There are three steps. You run setip.bat or put the info in your autoexec.bat. Then you load the packet driver by typing (or bat-ing) "NTCPDRV (your ip) 28" after that you should be good to go - meaning you type "quikserv" with or without a /log switch. There isn't actually much to it. I should also point out that it supports 8 connections. :)

Regarding 3.1 native, I'm not sure what that mean. Are you referring to vintage software? That would be fair enough.

There are lots of people here with "real" win3.1 knowledge (I've only run it a bit, years ago) but I do not believe that win3.1 has any native networking. It runs entirely on DOS. There is also nothing that a server can do in a GUI because it is not something you look at - it is something other machines look at.

I am also not sure what you mean by "native" as I said TCP/IP was not native to win 3.1, netbui is. In order to anything internet related you need TCP/IP.

As far as webservers go, check out Xitami. I know that version 2.5 runs on Windows 3.x but I am not sure of the latest version.

there's also WinHTTPd (i think it was called), and quarterdeck made a program called WebServer back in the day that worked on 3.1.

ole juul, my software won't work inside of windows 3.1 actually. well, it WILL work but you can't have a windows TCP stack at the same time, so it's the only internet program you could use at one time.

(and you're referring to quikserv which i still don't have listed on my site cuz i'm lazy but http://rubbermallet.org/qsv11rc1.zip is the link if anybody wants it.. wayyyy better than the webserver i have on the site)

i played around with winhttpd a bit on my 486 laptop about a year ago, it did the job fine and you can set up CGI as well!

I realize this thread is 9 years old, but I wanted to say that I'm attempting to do this as well.

I've somewhat figured out EZ-NOS 2 under DOS, but I thought it would be nice to get something going in Windows (3.x would be nice, but not mandatory).

I'm going to post my own thread on the subject in a more appropriate place.

Also, I can't seem to get quikserv to work on my VM (latest Virtualbox). It just causes a hard lock up. Why? Do I need to configure HIMEM.SYS differently?

c

Would mTCP not work if all you wish to do is run a webserver or are you specifically looking for a webserver that run IN windows?

No, nothing specifically. I'm just experimenting.

EZ-NOS will be sufficient for now. It's clunky (largely due to my not fully understanding how to configure it, probably), but it gets the job done.

But if you have any ideas, I'd love to find out :)

c

Back