• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 7 to Dos parallel cable file transfer

PgrAm

Experienced Member
I'm trying to send some files to my dos PC using a parallel transfer cable (so I don't waste any more CDs). Until now I've been transferring files using CD's and floppys. Since windows 7 has very little support for the parallel port I am running a patched version of dosbox that adds pass-through parallel cable functionality. In dosbox I'm running some software that I found here called file maven. On my dos PC(386sx) I'm running another copy of the same software. This software came with absolutely no documentation so I can't figure out how to use it. Is there a better way to transfer files between a modern PC and a vintage one I heard of laplink but I can't seem to find a download link for ll3.exe. This is kinda driving me crazy so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If you give me an email I will send you ll3.exe although I don't know if it will work with a 'rigged' parallel port. :)

Don't you have any rewriteable CDs?

How about a network card for the 386?

Is there a better way to transfer files between a modern PC and a vintage one I heard of laplink but I can't seem to find a download link for ll3.exe. This is kinda driving me crazy so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

This is a common discussion here. People have their preferences. If you have DOS 6 or up, it comes with INTERLNK which works very well and simply mounts the other drive on the present one. In DOS type "help interlnk" to learn all about it. Anyway, that's generally my preference in a pure DOS environment.

However, it is worth using standard networking because that allows you to talk to anything. Check out mTCP. Once you grasp the basics it is quick and easy to set up on most machines. To sum up: 1/put in network card. 2/put file with IP in path 3/type name of driver 4/type name of networking program of choice (eg FTP). Yes there are a few things to grok here, but once you do, it is basically that simple. And of course, you will now always be able to connect a DOS machine to anything that can network, so it is time well spent.

This is a common discussion here. People have their preferences. If you have DOS 6 or up, it comes with INTERLNK which works very well and simply mounts the other drive on the present one. In DOS type "help interlnk" to learn all about it. Anyway, that's generally my preference in a pure DOS environment.

Right now I'm actually using MS-DOS 5. Will INTERLNK work if I just copy it into a dos 5 environment? This pc also has Windows 3.1 installed are there any utilities that come with windows?

Ole, this method is out as one machine is running WIN 7 and doesn't have a parallel or serial port. So, if you were to boot the 7 machine to DOS the HD would not be visible.

Ole, this method is out as one machine is running WIN 7 and doesn't have a parallel or serial port. So, if you were to boot the 7 machine to DOS the HD would not be visible.

The patched version of dosbox im running allows dosbox to access the parallel port without windows. The dos PC and my modern pc are actually talking to each other but I have no way of transferring files.

I sent you laplink although it was a real PITA. :) Four unsuccessful attempts because I waas sending an EXE file. No way I could trick Verizon but on the fifth attempt I managed to trick GMail. :)

Same, zip drives are a lifesaver if not a ton of data . If its a huge amount of data I break out my H45 quickcd w/ an ide burner in it. Fire up dosroast and burn w/e to a disc. Its pretty slow, think 2x burn speeds since it runs thru the printer port. A little unconventional, but it gets the job done. :)

Back