• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 95 bluescreen on Standby

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
So, whenever my laptop's LCD is closed, or the 'standby' button is pressed, I get a BSOD from Windows 95, and then the screen is reverse-video when I go back into it, but is fine after a restart.

What?

Sounds like it needs some power management drivers, or Win95 doesn't support it (or the specific version you're on, to be more specific, as I'm pretty sure some version did). Please specify the exact build (winver.exe) and let us know what laptop you're talking about. If it's a modern one, you're probably SOL.

You need to keep in mind that Win95 came out when AT was *the* form factor, and it didn't incorporate power management.

Specifics would be nice. Generally, when this sort of thing happens, the culprit often turns out to be a display driver. You might check around for an update.

Windows 95 fresh installation with no display drivers of any sort, the "No Internet Explorer" build. The laptop is my Notejet 486SX, and APM worked fine in a fresh Windows 3.1 install.

Do you have any anti-virus applications installed (or any other applications for that matter)? I recall that the Trend Micro anti-virus/anti-spam products were especially bad in that way. Power management was pretty primitive in the 486 days (ACPI didn't yet exist)

At least your BSOD isn't in kernel.dll, so there's probably a resident application or driver involved in it somewhere.

Do you have any anti-virus applications installed (or any other applications for that matter)? I recall that the Trend Micro anti-virus/anti-spam products were especially bad in that way. Power management was pretty primitive in the 486 days (ACPI didn't yet exist)

At least your BSOD isn't in kernel.dll, so there's probably a resident application or driver involved in it somewhere.

As far as he's said, it's a plain install of Windows 95. He may have installed some drivers for his Aironet 350 card but I'm not sure.

Shrug.

I'm not very good at 20 questions. So far we know that it's a non-kernel error and it happens on standby on his 486 laptop, but we don't know the version of Windows 95. There were a number of shaky OEM drivers packaged with the first release of Win95. OSR2 was a bit better.

I'll leave him to your tender care.

Shrug.

I'm not very good at 20 questions. So far we know that it's a non-kernel error and it happens on standby on his 486 laptop, but we don't know the version of Windows 95. There were a number of shaky OEM drivers packaged with the first release of Win95. OSR2 was a bit better.

I'll leave him to your tender care.

This isn't OSR2, I know that. Winver.exe just shows 'windows 95' and the copyright. Nothing more, nothing less.

This isn't OSR2, I know that. Winver.exe just shows 'windows 95' and the copyright. Nothing more, nothing less.
The DOS command prompt using VER or right clicking on "My Computer" and going to "Properties" should tell you.
You should see one of these:

4.00.950a
4.00.950b
4.00.950c

Back